• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taskmanager says cpu usage 90-100%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jab635

Could OCZ 2*512 plat rev 2 ram cause high cpu usage with Asrock dual939? AMD Power monitor says that my core is 90-100%. I just did a clean install. What could it be?

Its not a hardware problem. What processes in task manager are taking this up? A bad/partial program install can do this, antivirus software thats botched can do this.

Your best bet is to download hijackthis and run a scan and post the log file here... That will let us know what your running processes are and if there is any software thats corrupt or conflicting with soemthing else.

This is the hijack this logfile
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:00:11 AM, on 4/4/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\ULI5289\ALi5289.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jose\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ALi5289] C:\Program Files\ULI5289\ALi5289.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB

What process is responsible for the high processor utilization? You can find this in task manager on the processes tab, you can sort by CPU.

If your running in safe mode, you should start up in normal mode then run the scan. That seems like very few entries even for a clean install.

Also, if you haven't installed all your drives yet you should do that.

No. I mean my CPU usage is high. This computer runs real slow. Pcpitstop says my cpu is running at 10% of capacity and my memory is running at 25%. Any ideas why?

System IDLE process indicates the time your CPU is standing IDLE.

If system idle process is 99 that means your computer ain't doing squat. If you go into task manager on the performance TAB, your CPU usage percentage there will be very low.

If your CPU usage is high, a different process will consume that processor time.

Also, your wasting your time with garbage like PCpitstop. Teh results you got were just telling you that the PC pitstopscan was using 10% of your CPU power and 25% of your RAM, including any services you had running in the background. Thats, essentially, meaningless.

I.M.O.G. said:
System IDLE process indicates the time your CPU is standing IDLE.

If system idle process is 99 that means your computer ain't doing squat. If you go into task manager on the performance TAB, your CPU usage percentage there will be very low.

If your CPU usage is high, a different process will consume that processor time.

Also, your wasting your time with garbage like PCpitstop. Teh results you got were just telling you that the PC pitstopscan was using 10% of your CPU power and 25% of your RAM, including any services you had running in the background. Thats, essentially, meaningless.
Under the Performance tab My CPU Usage and history is 90-100%
When I use AMD Power Monitor it shows the same thing. My computer is at idle.

jab635 said:
Under the Performance tab My CPU Usage and history is 90-100%
When I use AMD Power Monitor it shows the same thing. My computer is at idle.
Are you saying the CPU usage green bar is all the way to top (100%)?
if so, the something is running and using up the CPU. click the processes tab(not processor as CPU) and see which program is using CPU. if nothing is running the "system idle process" should be 98-99 under CPU column.
if you see any other under "image name" column is using the CPU(100% as you state) then that's the one causing it. end the process there and/or un-install that software. you may have corrupted winxp OS and has to fresh reinstall it. repairing winxp or restoring it to a point may do it. But best to fresh install OS if don't know what corrupted it.

ochungry said:
Are you saying the CPU usage green bar is all the way to top (100%)?
if so, the something is running and using up the CPU. click the processes tab(not processor as CPU) and see which program is using CPU. if nothing is running the "system idle process" should be 98-99 under CPU column.
if you see any other under "image name" column is using the CPU(100% as you state) then that's the one causing it. end the process there and/or un-install that software. you may have corrupted winxp OS and has to fresh reinstall it. repairing winxp or restoring it to a point may do it. But best to fresh install OS if don't know what corrupted it.
Greenbar is all the way up top. Idle process is 99, but when I start anything it drops to zero. XP is a clean install. I tried clean installs of XP, XP64, 2003 and I get the same problem. It takes forever just to install any driver. I am sure its not the OS.
If it is hardware how could I check?
Could it be the BIOS?

Please post screenshots of the task manager. One on the processes tab, one on the performance tab.

If idle process is showing 99%, but the greenbar is all the way up at the top to show full utilization, then you have a software problem - something is corrupting the monitoring that the task manager is trying to do. A hardware incompatibily can't cause 100% CPU usage, yet make task manager report 100% system idle process.

We really need more to go on than your giving us... The display corruption your noticing could be a video hardware problem, or driver corruption.

It's also fairly possible the versions of windows you obtained are FUBAR. If this is just a windows glitch, there might be something in windows update which could patch it.

Back