• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing the ihs socket clearance issues??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toddm27

I was reading that removing the ihs you may have clearance issues with the socket, I was wondering if it does hit on a storm cpu block and a dfi mobo, I plan on unlidding my 165 tomorrow and was looking to see if any sanding of the zif socket or anything was gonna be required, I know it will need shorter screws.

On the original plastic AMD heatsink holder, ther are four little nubs that the heatsink rests on. The IHS is EXACTLY the thickness of one of those, so you can figure out from there.

I understand that, but I was wondering mainly if the waterblock is going to hit against the zif socket with the ihs removed, I've read some stories of it not making contact with the core perfectly flat after removing the ihs from resting on the edge of the socket lifting it up?

I dont see why if wouldn't make 100% contact with the core using a waterblock. Unless mounted wrong. As stated do a few trial run's and setting it and see what kinda imprint you get.

id get out some of that cheap white lithium paste that we all have 80000 packets of lieing around, and use that to test fit and adjust/sand/file as necessary-

the tolerances are so close that i wouldn't take anyone's experience as a guide considering how things change from chip to chip, and heatsink to heatsink

well sounds good, I'm gonna pop it in the morning, wish me luck as my chip will boot at 3ghz with stock voltage and it is somewhat stable but any increase in voltage even running at 2.65 and it will fail prime instantly, passes at stock vcore at 2.65 for 12+ hours. I'm really hoping for a horrible ihs mount job and 3ghz after that.

no, but it is giving me some other issues as well, not booting after shutdown, I will have another board to test tomorow afternoon as I bought a couple ultra d's from monarch, so I'll give it a shot, I also have a 146 sitting around I can test in it, either way I'll give it some goes, one thing I noticed is the temp skyrockets with any extra voltage and it runs hot period compared to my last 165, idles at 40-42, loads at 48-50 stock vcore at 2.65

well I don't have any clearance issues, it went smooth as silk and temps dropped like you wouldn't believe, idle at 20c and load at 2810 25c stock vcore :attn: I habn't tried higher yet but I think this thing has a lot of life in it yet, I was wondering how off my temps were on my expert as they seemed to report a little high and to turn out my chip had some rock hard themal compound on the ihs, I can't recommend this enough to anyone and again be very carefull and take your time.

I'll keep you guys posted how high it goes as this is just the tip of the iceburg it seems, before removal anything over 2650 resulted in core 1 failing instantly and now its been priming 30+ minutes at 2.8 btw my chip is a ccb1e 0606vpmw

Nice results and thanks for the large picture. It really helps to see exactly how much (or how little) space there is between the ihs seal and the surface mount chips

well I upped it up to 2900 and it ran prime for 3 1/2 hours before an error at stock voltage, so I backed off to 2850 and well see how that goes, this thing absolutely rocks without the ihs :D :burn:

idle was 35-38 prior and now its around 20-22, load was 44-45 prior and now 26-28, It made all the difference for me

Back