• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 95 question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erebos668

Registered
Ok i got a crap comp from my school today and i was just messing around with it. It has windows 95 installed on it, and a network card but i can not find a way to configure a high speed internet connect. Any suggestions?

I don't have Window 95 in font of me, but I can install it at home nad try. It depends on the circumstances though. You need to configure PPPOE or something? Or are you putting it on the network?

While it is a bit different I imagine, it should support TCP/IP and have the ability to work on a network.

EDIT: sorry scratch that. Dumb of me, I KNOW it works on highspeed and networks since I've seen it done at the library I worked at. But lemme know about what you want to do specifically and I can try to help.

It has been a LONG time since I messed with 95 but it seems like you had to manually configure tcp/ip connections , no dhcp.

why even mess with win 95?
Personally I would maybe try linux just a thought.

(sorry about being no help) and changing the subject

Last edited:
Okay guys, when someone has a question about a version of Windows, the answer is NOT telling him what other OS he SHOULD install.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep that crap out of threads. If it's a question about win95, either answer it, or don't post at all.

cw823
Forum Moderator

i suggest clearing the network stack and then rebooting.

try right-clicking network neighborhood, delete everything under the "configuration" tab, then click ok. windows will ask you to reboot, go ahead and reboot and upon reboot it should find your NIC and reload drivers, as well as bind tcp/ip to your nic and whatnot. you can check it out by right-clicking network neighborhood and clicking properties. the settings you will need to verify are usually called "TCP/IP => (your network adapter)". most likely if you are connected directly to a cable/dsl modem you will want your ip address in the tcp/ip properties set to "obtain an IP address automatically". you might need to click the dns configuration tab to have that one set as automatic as well. click ok and after reboot open a command prompt window and see if you can ping yahoo.com.

Windows 95 and 98 are dead OSes which really shouldn't be on networks. I think its fair that we raise a red flag.

BTW with 95 I think you have to install the networking components off the cd as they don't auto install. Maybe I'm thinking 98.

Back