• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I'm taking a high-school networking course... and I probably already know more than the teacher. I'm a bit sore that she failed her exam, and cannot certify us... so I really don't feel much like doing anything in this class. Can you guys help me out here?

I'm sure someone here is bored enough. :p

1. Why are network monitoring utilities general purpose?
2. Name and describe the 3 types of information a network monitoring utility gathers.
3. Describe the Performance monitor utility. Name all of the things it monitors.
4. What is a network baseline?
5. What does SNMP stand for
6. What protocol suite does SNMP belong to?
7. How is SNMP installed on your computer
8. What is the purpose of SNMP?
9. What does SNMP use agents to do?
10. What is the purpose of an SNMP management information base?
11. Name 5 network components SNMP can manage.
12. What does RMON stand for.
13. How many MIB’s can RMON use?
14. What are the MIB’s, and why does RMON use them?
15. List the 5 steps in the structured approach to troubleshooting, and explain each step.
16. There are 7 special tools in chapter 11 used for troubleshooting. Name all 7 and explain them.
17. “Cabling and Related Components,” outline the ways to troubleshoot cable and NICs

That sounds like your homework... and honestly, it's really simple to google. If you get a good article on SNMP, you'll have most of that solved in 5-10 minutes.

Crummy questions for homework though... some of them are so broad, it's like asking, "what are 3 things a computer can do?". Glad I don't have to do any of that anymore.

Yuriman said:
... so I really don't feel much like doing anything in this class.

How you "feel" about the class, is unfortunate, as is the teacher's failure to pass her exam and be able to certify you.

Nevertheless, it's your obligation to yourself, to learn to overcome those kind of obstacles. I assure you, you'll face many of that magnitude or greater, when you're through with your current class, and certainly, after your academic years are done.

A musician doesn't practice so much because they always "feel" like it. They practice so much because they know they need to practice that much - whether they "feel" like it, or not.

I'm not a networking guru, but if I were - I certainly would answer NONE of your questions. You aren't asking because you need the help. You're asking because you're too unmotivated to study.

And that's no excuse. You get yourself motivated, and get going! :burn:

Adak

Back