• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power question on ps2/usb converter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I just got the Saitek keyboard mentioned in CyberDeals. I neglected to consider that I use a 4 port KVM switch, which is ps2, not usb. So, I'm thinking that I can use a ps2/usb converter. I've used them before to convert a USB optical mouse to use a ps2 port, so clearly some power must pass through the ps2/usb converter. I'm wondering if that is enough power for the Saitek keyboard, which has lighted keys. Anyone know if the ps2 power is equivalent to the usb power?

I'm pretty sure they're the same. I used to have a ps2 phone charger so I'm sure if it was enough to charge my phone it will definately be enough to llight your kb.

If I remember my specs correctly, both usb and ps/2 use 5v at 500ma, but I could be wrong. THe keyboard may have to actually support PS/2 fo rthe connector to work, so it may or may not work, even if it gets enough power.

Back