• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First micro ATX build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OldOne

This is the first micro ATX build that I am going to do, part as follows

MSI K8NGM2-FID Geforce 6150
FX-53 with stock heatsink for FX-60
1GB G.Skill mem
WD 250GB Sata Raid 7200rpm 16gb buffer
XFX 6600GT
Light On 16x SHM-16SH6SS Lightscribe Dual DVD rewriteable
Sony 1.44 floppy drive
Aspire X-QPack
Enermax Elt 400 Watt Liberty PSU

Do you see any problems?

It is easy to buy a monster case and put big parts in it,but not so for something small.

first off
do not use a nvidia video card with an ati mobo chipset
lacklustre video performance
i have a winfast micro-atx , nforce 4 / 4 seial ata ports with raid
supports the single core opterons out of the box
i paid 57.00 cdn taxes included
this would be a better board
i was going to use it for another build but decided to use intel instead

p.m.

:confused: I see not to many micro ATX get built. Well the parts will be here on the 12th. I dont know anything about Intel,so I stayed with AMD.

That MSI board is very nice. I was down between that, the 6150 board from Asus, and the DFI R482 Infinity. I ended up going with the DFI. It should be here sometime this week, I can't wait!!! :D
I'm also very closely considering the Enermax Liberty PSU. That 400W model looks very tempting as it has all the desireable features. I only wish it were like 460 or 480 watts, but 400 is still pretty solid. Should still be enough though.

The only thing I question is why you are going with the FX-53?? For the price you pay on the FX-53, you could get an Opteron 165, 170, or X2 4400. Unless you already have one in hand, I would consider getting a dual core if you have that much money to spend. If you don't want dual core, then you might as well save some money on the processor by getting a 4000 San Diego. The San Diego cores are 90nm and have the new SSE3 instruction set as opposed to the old ClawHammer core on the FX-53. That money would be better spent on getting a 7600GS over that 6600GT...

Oh, and there is no reason why you can't run an nVidia card well on an ATI chipset; just like you can run an ATI card just fine on an nVidia chipset :p

Last edited:
Yes, the FX-53 was replaced by a FX-60, and the 6600GT was left over from the same upgrade as well as the G.Skill mem. Let me know how the DFI does. I will be building more mirco ATX systems for our new employees.

OldOne said:
Looking forward to it :D
Sorry for the delay, I had a lot of things come up in my life that complicated finishing this review. However, the good news is it is done and you can read about all my experiences with the DFI RS482 Infinity HERE... :thup: :D

Back