• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think (dual xp-m)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

In my sig you can see that I have two socket A computers, one is just sitting on the floor doing nothing and no one seems to want to buy (localy anyway), so I was thinking of getting a k7d master and putting the two xp-m in there. Is it worth it? Can I use my geil ram or will I have to replace it?

I thought about doing this before, but I though the mobo was two much for me, but I think if I am able to keep the ram i could manage to get the board.

i just came from the k7d setup. IMO, it's not worth it. Some of the K7d's also had problems with running mobiles anyways, so you'd be taking a chance. The 760mp(x) chipset was not a good platform...

What problems did you experience, I don't plan to overclock I just wanted to set it at around 2.0ghz and leave it at that.

The 760mp(x) chipset was not a good platform

That is the first time I had EVER heard that. I used the K7D Master boards like crazy for a couple of years and just recently sold off the last 5 mobos. They were good boards for their day and very stable. If you can do without DDR-400 and 8x AGP I say go for it. I wish I had one of mine to sell you because they were the last 5 from MSI US.

The computer if built would mostly be used by my mom, so I would do this just for the experience of building it. And besides I think I would be able to sell it for more by being a dual.

You can do an L5 mod on those XP-M's and drop them in an Asus A7M-266d motherboard and use wpcre and crystalcpuid to change the multiplier's in Windows. It's worked great in 3 of my Asus A7M-266d's. I also had 3 MSI K7D's but only ran MP processors in them...too many stories of instability with the xp-m's. I've since sold all of the k7d's and am selling the last Asus A7M-266d on ebay right now.

Can't a permantly change the multi with pin mods? I'm considering the K7D because the sticky mentioned it was a good board, do I need registered ram for the asus?

The only reason I feel that way about the chipset is because of the crippling "features" like no/broken USB. I realize that it was aimed at servers so these problems didn't have huge effects on the target consumers...but perhaps my statement didn't come across as i intended :bang head

Avg said:
Can't a permantly change the multi with pin mods? I'm considering the K7D because the sticky mentioned it was a good board, do I need registered ram for the asus?

The programs he mentioned you can set them to start in the background with windows and they will change everything without you even noticing.

I have the Tyan Tiger MPX and it uses the AMD-760 chipset. All my USB ports work, and I have no regrets about the board.

Running 2x Athlon XP Mobile 2800+ just fine, connected L5 brdige and used pin mod for multiplier

760mp --> no usb ? havn't owned one
760mpx --> usb works for mouse, modem, usb stick , usb hub works too.

i have an old bx dual slot one board and it has a risistor that limits the current to the usb too much and unless its shorted it has no usb. I guess that there is a similar problem with any ones old mpx that has no usb. :shrug:

still use my dual xp as my main rig although I have never used a moden computer, its faster than a 3ghz p4 with ht off, mabey not in games but never gamed on a p4.

Avg said:

Can't a permantly change the multi with pin mods? Yes

I'm considering the K7D because the sticky mentioned it was a good board
It is a good board, just not a great overclocker, in my experience. I'd like to hear from someone who has OC'd the K7D(although it's moot for me, since I've sold my k7d's).

do I need registered ram for the asus?
I believe the 760/762 chipsets would take non-ecc in 2 slots only; as for the Asus...I'm not sure, although the last Asus board I sold off did have ecc dimms(but that's what it had when I bought it).

EDIT: I had to double-check on your last question...yes, the Asus A7m266 will take regular non-ECC dimms, in the first 2 slots only.
;)

Last edited:
ECC is NOT necessarily registered. Memory registers buffer the commands for one extra clock this allows large amounts of memory to be accessed reliably.

Yes it is true tho that non reg ram will work in two slots.

Not all reg ram is ecc and vica verca.

I lost 4 Mhz fsb going to 3 dimms the third was a faster one, think it needs some more volts for the North bridge/memory controler.

Currently have 2 2500+ (1800Mhz?) @ 2100Mhz 15*240 (edit: DOH i mena 15x140)

All the mpx can take non reg in slots 1 and 2 unless the bios won't allow for some strange reson.

edit: puntuation the . is a powerfull tool

Last edited:
aftermath said:
ECC is NOT necessarily registered memory registers buffer the commands for one extra clock this allows large amounts of memory to be accessed reliably

yes it is true tho that non reg ram will work in two slots

not all reg ram is ecc and vica verca

i lost 4 Mhz fsb going two 3 dimms the third was a faster one think it needs some more volts for the North bridge/memory control er

currently have 2 2500+ (1800Mhz?) @ 2100Mhz 15*240

Oh I know that registered ram and ECC ram are not the same, and I know what they are for I just don't how they work exactly. What I'm interested in knowing is if my Geil PC4000 would work with a 760mp(x) mobo because I would have to sell the geil ram before I could purchase a compatible ram.

thanks for the explanation though.

I now want to get this board, the only problem is I don't like dealing with ebay and new boards are hard to find and expensive. Well the parts I have are not going anywhere I'll just wait until I find a opportunity to get the motherboard.

Avg said:
What I'm interested in knowing is if my Geil PC4000 would work with a 760mp(x) mobo because I would have to sell the geil ram before I could purchase a compatible ram.

I ran pc3200 in most of my 760/762 boards; I don't see why you pc4000 wouldn't.

I just went through a simmular situation, I too thought it would be easy and inexpensive because I had most of the parts. Boy was I wrong. And the worst thing was that the computer was never stable. I would ebay all your parts and just start over. I was suprised how much thos xp-m are pulling on ebay still.

robjen1019 said:
I just went through a simmular situation, I too thought it would be easy and inexpensive because I had most of the parts. Boy was I wrong. And the worst thing was that the computer was never stable. I would ebay all your parts and just start over. I was suprised how much thos xp-m are pulling on ebay still.

What parts did you use: mobo,ram,cpu? And what problems did you face? I am thinking of doing this just as an upgrade and to make use of the parts I have left, I was thinking of either trading some parts I have or selling them and getting the dual mobo.

Avg, i was just being a pedant and corecting ihrsetrdr, just incase it coursed confusion, you may have tryed 3 or 4 ecc only sticks and not got it to work.

robjen1019, what psu did you use and what was the cooling? Most unstable computers (not os/windows ishues but hardware hangs) are psu related when you cna show that the ram or cpu etc is stable. But it could still have been IRQ or some thing else, today i pulled out my lan cable and crashed my pc, hard locked, very strange not os

I would prefer not to see any more offers to buy or sell components here, I think the rest of you would prefer I not see any sale/purchase offers here too. Keep it in the classifieds people.

aftermath said:
Avg, i was just being a pedant and corecting ihrsetrdr, just incase it coursed confusion, you may have tryed 3 or 4 ecc only sticks and not got it to work.

aftermath is correct; my apologies for obsfucating the matter of registered RAM which AVG mentioned with ECC RAM, which was what was in my thought thread.

Back