• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp sp2 over Emanchines oem xp sp1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spawndriven

Registered
Lol, I recently took a copy of an emanchines restore disk with xp sp1 on it and installed it on my manchine. Before activating it and installing any drivers i immediately installed a just purchased OEM xp sp2. When i set-up the bios to start from disk, put in the xp sp2 disk after all the files load BUT Before the welcome to set-up screen i got a STOP: 0x0000006f message? So i booted the manchine in safe and loaded xp sp2 from cmd. Now my question is did i screw anything up? :shrug:

The only difference i notice is that upon load up/booting sp2 takes a really long time, after all booted though she screams?

Any thoughts or help appreciated, thanks,
Spawndriven

Oh Yeah the MS help line is NO help :bang head

Format. I do not know what your error code is, but I know if you format and the install the XP sp2 you *should* be fine.

Ok. Was what i wanted to do with the xp sp2 disk anyway except How? I don't know how to format without the windows disk, tried the disk format provided in windows but that won't let me format either. It's a maxtor sata 1 drive.
I tried maxblast 4 for windows i beleive it's called and that said it won't let me format the partition that the system files are on.

If this helps i don't see any instances of the files and or programs from the emanchines disk at all. Did every system check i know of and everything comes back as system 100%.

When i put the new copy of xp sp2 in i followed all directions. Did i install this copy Over the emanchines copy ? when i put the fresh copy in it said it would delete all files currently in the directory where the emanchines copy resided. So why the slow boot? :shrug:

Got it. STOP:0x0000006f(0xc00000020,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000).
The reason i couldn't install my freshly purchased copy of xp sp2 and was getting this stop message was because of my ASUS cd r/rw. Unplugged it and made my ASUS dvd drive the primary and wah - lah, installing as i type. :) I had updated the firmware for the cd drive and even before i went to install new xp sp2 when i would make cd copies it went from burning @32X to 16X. That's gotta be the reason, the updated firmware.

Glad to hear it's installed properly sometimes if there's a new firmware out it's probably created with SP2 in mind. Once SP2 is installed try re-connecting it and see what happens if it does the same you could always shut down & disconnect it.

Power-up again & once back into windows connect it back-up it should automatically find the drive if not go into Device Manager and Scan For Hardware Changes. Then flash back the firmware to the original version then restart and flash again to the new one as sometimes firmware's can go a bit buggy cause you could get a bad flash.

But if your happy with the older firmware stay with that the saying is "If it's not broke don't fix it". Also make sure you have the latest drivers for any hardware that has a new one out you'll notice better performance with newer drivers.

Back