• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic freezer 7 and d830

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satanspet

Registered
ever since i have installed my freezer 7 i have had problems with my processors frequency readings later i read ...

"Q: ClockGen reports my Pentium 4 3GHz or above with a 2800MHz CPU speed.
A: This is the effect of C1E (Enhanced Halt State) and/or EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology). Load your system and you will see the frequency increase to its nominal value."

me running a d830 @ 3.0ghz i see it drop as stated to 2.79 or 2.8. what can i do to correct this, it says reboot on there but i mean if i do that it comes up at 3.0 then in about 3 mins it drops to 2.8 again ... n e ideas? cooler not cutting it?

thanks i am new to this new intel EIST technology and frankly have no solid knowledge on it at all.

thanks again for all ur guy's help

regards

Chris

i'm more than 90% sure its on there good but i mean i used to idle at 46 degrees C when i was on stock with one of those big tower intel coolers and now its not even under that i mean its somewhere around 53 - 55 now on idle. as soon as i do a thing it heats right up, but i mean i can check the seating, how tight should it be? i changed the dinky little plastic clips on teh cooler with my intels stock screw option with the plate on teh back for more stability, should i tighten it all the way? thanks this si teh first cooler i have changed

Chris

also would a thermaltak xp-120 be better on a d830 what kinda temps could i expect?

thanks if nothing is within reason i may just go water route see what i can pull of that way but i am on kinda a tight budget these days

thanks again

EIST in bios eh ? well thats no good, i have an HP they lock that bios tight...

this is starting to **** me off just a touch. any other way to do it its saposed to be a 15x multiplyer cpuz says its at 14, not that i mind all thatmuch but if i am in a game will it go to 15 ? thanks

When under load, the CPU will go to max speed, so 15x multiplier. If you want to test this, run something CPU intensive x 2. Cinebench has a multithreaded test, which should put it at 15x. Then run CPU-Z to verify while it is running.

i'm at work right now, i'll get back to u soon in like an hour and a half or so

But yah i'll try this theory if thats the case then i am fine with it bumping me to 2.8 under idle

Thanks

yah i tried to use cpu burn in in sandra and watched, it was at 15x more than 14x but it still flip flopped between the 2 at about 58 degrees C is that a healthy temp under load for a d830? thanks

58c is high assuming the sensors are accurate. Depending on your board, your throttle temp may be at 60c, so you would want to stay usually at least 10% under that.

Perhaps it's just your system cooling that isn't up to par?

I couldn't tell you, without more information on the pump. I myself wouldn't bother with it.

also system cooling is good i ahve 2 120mm intakes and 1 92mm exhaust and 1 120mm exhaust

If you're going to go water cooling, you should build your own setup.

The one caveat with water cooling is that the motherboard power regulators do not get any cooling. This is important, as they can get very toasty when running a hungry CPU like the Pentium D's.

You might want to look into some of the higher end air cooling solutions. Fit might be an issue so you'll need to see if you have the required space.

reseat the cooler!!! i garentie thats the problem. First time i fitted my BT the temps were way up in the 50s, refitted it and now full load at 2.7Ghz never exceededs 45.

Also see if you can tighten it down more, i found this helped a lot.

saposeing that another reseat doesnt work and i stick with air cooling how would a zalman cnps9500 hold up with my processor? thanks i hear good things but havnt heard a thing about the dualcores with one of these

i must mention that zalman isn't in the near future i just ordered more thermal compound (arctic silver 5) from ebay got 2 tubes for like 11 with shipping in seemed like a good price and taht was express shipping to i am goin go try that, with the arctic freezer 7 i have in there already, when i go to reseat it tho i dont wnat much compound on it right? do i just put a bead in the center and let the heat and pressure do the rest or spread it out with a credit card or something? Thanks

Some will just let the pressure spread itself, other's will spread it out thin using some kind of spreader (non-metal is safest). You don't need much, it's not like icing a cake ;) Just a tiny bit, enough to fill in the gaps between the heatspreader and the copper base on the heatsink.

The CNPS9500 is a good heatsink. However, it is not really that quiet if you want it performing at its best. Noise level wise, the Scythe Ninja with a slow moving 120mm fan and the TT Big Typhoon are a bit better.

Back