• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my vid card not powerful enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

I just bought the game FEAR at the local ebworld store. I set everything to max and turn Vsync on. The game ran pretty choppy. I have downloaded the patch already. Is my vid card the weak link?

Did you have soft shadows on? If so, turn them off and try again... they will cause up to a 50% performance hit on *any* vid card. I let the game 'auto-detect' settings and it runs 35+++ fps no probs. Forceware 84.12 had an AA fix for that game too.

F.E.A.R. is one of the most graphically demanding games you can buy. In my opinion, you really need an SLI setup to see this game in it's full glory, and keep solid framerates..
Yep, ur 7800GT is the weak link, but buying a 7900GT wont play it on max settings much better.
You might wanna take the same strategy I am.... Currently, 7800GT's and 7900GT's are pretty much around the same price... soooo, HOPEFULLY nvidia will be forced to lower the prices on 7800GTs soon, so wait till prices drop and get yourself another one for SLI... or find one on ebay or something as cheap as u can....
Another thing, if you do a 7800GT SLI setup, then you'll run into another wall, ur CPU will be the bottleneck... it wont be able to feed 2 7800's data as fast as they will be able to take it.. soooo, just make the best decision for u and ur wallet ;)

FEAR is a right ***** compared to other FPS's. I get about 45fps avg framerate at 1024x768 at medium details on my 6600GT overclocked to 566Mhz/1.15Ghz, so dont be surprised if your system stutters with everything maxed, even with a 7800GT.

ahhhhh dammit..... this sucks ***.

There is just too much stuff to upgrade. I want a dual core CPU, upgrade memory from 1g to 2g, and was thinking of selling my 7800gt then buy a 1900xt. Too much stuff. sigh..............

I know the feeling ;)
I play it at 1280X1024 with details maxxed, no AA, 8X AF, and my system stutters when theres a lot of action happening... Am hoping adding another 7800GT will help smooth some of that out :) I dont like seeing 30FPS, even if theres an all out war on screen.... thats just too slow ;) The majority of the time, indoors, it holds 60FPS respectively, I just want it to stay there ;)

man... i'm just surprise that even with my current setup, I can only run mid settings. I'm quite upset about it. Too much money to upgrade.

i have a 7800gt too and your 3dmark 05 score is better than mine yet im more than happy with how it runs FEAR. You have high standards, i bet youve never even kissed a fat chick.

beavismorpheus said:
i have a 7800gt too and your 3dmark 05 score is better than mine yet im more than happy with how it runs FEAR. You have high standards, i bet youve never even kissed a fat chick.

lol...... the problem with this is that once you ran everything at the max settings with candy eye vision, you won't like it with anything less. So, it's a mental struggle.

Tell you the truth, I will kiss a fat chick, but just won't get turn on by her.

Turn soft shadows off like stated above, should allow you to run at all high settings (at least on my PC it does) as it frees up about 20 fps.

thanks for the advice, I did that and that increases my FPS by around 20. Thanks. But I'm still running mid settings so the average fps is around 50-60.

Yup, just upgraded my drivers to 84.21 and AA looks a lot better. But I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my vid card.... should I??

Turn FSAA down or off and turn off soft shadows, probaly the 2 biggest changes that will affect your FPS majorly.

I think I'm gonna sell my 7800GT and go for a more powerful card.

Dont be greedy.... wait for DX10 unless you have an unlimited cashflow, in which case, you can send me your 7800gt when your new card arrives. LOL

Back