• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it more effective to change multiplier or FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qualtran

I've Oc'd from 1.4 to 1.533 using 11.5*133 and I have noticed a performance increase, but what is the most effective thing to raise, the Multiplier or the FSB?

fsb also makes everything else run faster too,not just the cpu, so people normally pump the fsb as high as they can

Most would agree it would be by the FSB. Higher FSB is more memory bandwidth which is a very good thing.

Increasing this also can inherit many more problems, however. Once your PCI bus gets out of spec, hardware devices can begin to do some crazy stuff...lockups, crashes, etc. CAN happen. Your memory generally should be quality if you plan on getting the most out of it as well. Might need to play around with timings and voltages until you find its sweet spot.

Just play around and see what you can get out of it...just take it slow...

Hmmm, well I was able to increase the multiplier just fine, but when I increase the FSB at all, even 1 mhz, my system loses stability. I have a good mobo, Micron PC2100 Ram, a Hercules Kyro II graphics card, a networking card, a Holywood Plus DVD card and nothing else attached. In my bios my AGP is set at 4X and my latencies or whatever they are, are at 2.5. Any idea what may be holding me back?

Did you decrease your multiplier before raising the FSB?

Make sure temps are acceptable as well.

Yup I tried that but even then it dies, but I think it could be the temps. I'm getting a new Glaciator II in a few days, so that should alleviate any issue I may have been encountering with temps.

When I first try out a new CPU, or mobo, I like to find the CPU's limit in MHZ, using the multiplier, alone. This way you're not running you're PCI bus out of spec.

Once i have gotten the high limit for the CPU, I will reduce the multiplier, and start raising the FSB, a little at a time, trying to get to the same MHZ limit.

You may need to play around with different combinations until you get it right, but the higher you can run the FSB, the better overall performance you will get.

Also, for me to crank my FSB, and my CPU, you need voltege. These Athlon's need voltage like we need water. They thrive on it. I run my DDR @ 2.7V, and my CPU @2.2v (Volt Mod).

If you have'nt done it already, you may want to pencil in you're L7 bridges on the CPU, giving it a default voltage of 1.85. And raise you memory voltage higher, as well.

Don't forget to keep an eye on you're temps, as the higher, or faster you turn anything, you will produce more heat.

I hope this information helps you out, and please keep us informed............

:)

Doctor

Thanks Doctor,
That helps me a lot. Wow! that is quite an overclock you have, and your temps are truly impressive. I wish I had a vapo-chill case! How much did something like that run you? How hard was it to set it up?

Qualtran said:
Thanks Doctor,
That helps me a lot. Wow! that is quite an overclock you have, and your temps are truly impressive. I wish I had a vapo-chill case! How much did something like that run you? How hard was it to set it up?

Congratulations, I'm glad I could be fo help!

I bought the VapoChill here for @ $650.00 from what I remember. I got mine with the 400W Antec PS, but have replaced it with an Enermax 550W Switching Supply due to all the drives I'm running.

Oh, and it's easy to set up, and it just feele fast!

Enjoy,

Doctor

Back