• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

side designs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobthemoo

As promised, my perspex case side mod designs. keep in mind these were spur of the moment designs, so i havent really worked on them. Also, i did them on paint so they look suckish.

P stands for Perspex
F stands for Fan (im gonna have multicoloured ones)
I gave also included a template for anyone who wants to make there own and post them back to me.
sidedesigntemplate.jpg
the two boxes ( right and top left, is where fans and cd drives etc are)

design one :
sidedesignone.jpg

design 2:
sidedesigntwo.jpg

Design 3:
sidedesignthree.jpg

Design 4:
sidedesignfour.jpg

Design 5:
sidedesignfive.jpg

Design 6:
sidedesignsix.jpg

personally my favourite is number one, but post coments plz :D

i'd say number one is the best looking as well. one thing you might keep in mind is where you place the side fan in relation to components inside the case. having one above any combination of RAM, NB, GPU, and hsf all seem like they could provide a good boost to cooling. i'm not so sure i would want 4 [80-120mm] fans in the side of my case, but it might help!

number one is the best IMO, but like was already said, a GPU fan usually goes there. 4 80-120mm fans on the side of the case is a bit extreme even for air cooling seriously OCed machines. Personally I would stick with either a 92 or 120 x2 on the side panel. Larger fans with lower DBA but higher airflow.

theres only one fan in design one, but it would be 80mm.

i dont actually need any new fans, its just it would look amazing, i may buy some neon or cold cathodes to go with it. also, the fan was designed to go there specifically to give extra cooling to the gpu. i have a 7800gt btw, so its not massive.

Design one, though I'm not quite sure I understand the layout. Is the white area nothing, or does it represent the steel side? If so, then the black would be clear lucite and the perspex would be colored strips on an otherwise clear window?

sry, i didnt make it clear. The white circle represents a fan, and the outlined-white shapes represent the window.

Oh, I see. So the white border around the black box doesn't mean anything? Just a though, but by leaving the CD-ROM area out of the design it kind of uncenters the design. Perhapse something to "balance" it near the drives? Like nya:

window.gif

Of course that would show the sides of the drives. Don't know how much that would bother you.

well done, thats much moe clear. i decided to stop the window by the drives because you wont be able to see much anyway, plus, it would look a bit ugly.

Well, it may not look the best, but desighn 5 is what puts cool air over your CPU, video card and chipset. Remember, Frank Lloyd Wright, form follows function.:)

Mr. Perfect said:
Oh, I see. So the white border around the black box doesn't mean anything? Just a though, but by leaving the CD-ROM area out of the design it kind of uncenters the design. Perhapse something to "balance" it near the drives? Like nya:

window.gif

Of course that would show the sides of the drives. Don't know how much that would bother you.

i took yours and added to it

sidedesignseven.jpg

i think that it would look a little wierd if i missed out the drives, so ill just put a window over them. i think ill add in a cold cathode or some neon to make it look better :cool:

i will, but for now im air brushing my floppy, cd and usb drives black because theyre all beige (puke)

It can be considered rude to "bump" your threads... tho we never mind when people give bump-like updates with pics, lol.

I am liking the final design, and I agree with rseven that it may not be the best for air flow (a little down and left would be better for GPU), but it's still nice. Post some picks and I'm sure we'll be happy to comment :D.

I woulf definately go for a 120mm versus an 80mm as stated earlier. Quieter, higher cfm, and lower sound output. And will give you more coverage of internal components it blows onto. Hole saw works great! Anxious to see your pics dude.

Back