• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

screw shaped fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techun

well this is a wierd idea, and there's probably an obvious answer, but why dont they make screw fans.

the fan would have one spiral fin and..well it would spin and blow air.

please educate me, or laugh because im stupid

This is a stab in the dark, but I believe that a screw-shape spun at the same rpm as a propeller will not create the same air velocity due to the Bernoulli effect.

Lateral diffusion and sheer modulus. It works for subs because the diffusion is low and the modulus is high. It doesn't work for gases for the same reasons, the diffusion is high and the modulus is low.

Captain Helghas-

What comes to mind when I read your reply is "If you can't blow 'em away with brilliance, baffle them with bulls$$t".

If your post is "brilliant", then I take my hat off to you.

itshondo said:
Captain Helghas-

What comes to mind when I read your reply is "If you can't blow 'em away with brilliance, baffle them with bulls$$t".

If your post is "brilliant", then I take my hat off to you.
Hahaha...
I picked up my Polymer class notes and read about extruders for about 5 minutes, then replied. If I'm wrong I blame it on McGraw Hill for publishing the wrong info. :)
EDIT: For anyone who is interested, the book this came from:
Principles of Polymer Systems, A. Rodriguez, McGraw-Hill, 1990, pgs 323-335

He right BTW. I just looked it up in my textbooks so if both say the same thing (different pubishers) then its prolly right :p

Ummmm... to make simple:
Screw shaped fans are good for moving denser material then air, water for example. Subs use that shape and most water pumps is that shape to push water.
I hope I got it right.

For a simple explanation, yes I believe so. However, there's a lot more to it, as you can have a more dense liquid than water that has a lower modulus. It might not work well for that second solution.

Captain Helghas said:
For a simple explanation, yes I believe so. However, there's a lot more to it, as you can have a more dense liquid than water that has a lower modulus. It might not work well for that second solution.
Actually I know that some pumps use the screw design and thus it received the "impeller" name. Also I'm 90% Jet Skies use the same impeller design.

EDIT:
Can't find any pump spare parts with the screw design but I'm sure I saw it somewhere......
I might be wrong and my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Flip-Mode said:
Actually I know that some pumps use the screw design and thus it received the "impeller" name. Also I'm 90% Jet Skies use the same impeller design.

EDIT:
Can't find any pump spare parts with the screw design but I'm sure I saw it somewhere......
I might be wrong and my eyes are playing tricks on me.
You may very well be correct that they do use it. It does work remarkably well for water. I was just talking about it's limitations and how that applies to it being used.

Imagine how much getting your finger in a normal fan sucks...then imagine a screw fan :santa:

Back