• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C memory and lost both LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Layback Bear

I have 3 gb of ram.
2 Kingston DDR2 PC4300 1024 MB each and
2 Kingston DDR2 PC4300 512 MB each. (Micron Technology)
Pentium D830 and D945G NT M/B
NIVIDIA GeForce 6200 Turbocach
2 ACER LCD 19
XP-PRO-SP2
The problem is when I change my original ram settings to agressive in the bios, stock is 4.0 4 4 12 both LCD'S go black. I have to swap the jumper to get back into the bios to put it back. I'm thinking its my vidio card but not sure. I need help and I know O/C FORUM can do it. If more information is needed please just ask.

pretty much explains itself. The Ram can't handle those timings so it wont post. Ease up or or lower your clock to get better timings...or buy better ram. Although I'd say Kingston is pretty reliable. As for your vid card, it's holding the whole system back even if your not a gamer. 3 gigs/6200tc= confuzzling. Do you photoshop or macromedia? A cheap 7600gt will serve a non-gamer well for the next year and a half.

The 6200 Isnt that bad actually, its a very good budget card and ran most of todays games fine (Not on high settings though....)

If I understand correctly, my 6200 is holding me back. The ram settings of 4.0-4-4-4-12 is default and agressive is 3-2-2 [4]. It handles default just fine. If a better card is required, could you give me a idea of what I should buy. Yes I do photo. The card I have is what the Intel dealer said I needed.

Layback Bear said:
If I understand correctly, my 6200 is holding me back. The ram settings of 4.0-4-4-4-12 is default and agressive is 3-2-2 [4]. It handles default just fine. If a better card is required, could you give me a idea of what I should buy. Yes I do photo. The card I have is what the Intel dealer said I needed.
This has nothing to do with the video card. The fact you are using mixed ram is probably what is causing the problem. The memory may be able to handle those timings individualy, but when you put it alltogether it may not. Or even more likely, one or more of the sticks is not rated to run those timmings.

Thank you for your info Valcan. All 4 sticks of ram are ddr2 533 mb. Do you think it would work better if I took the two 512 out

Layback Bear said:
Thank you for your info Valcan. All 4 sticks of ram are ddr2 533 mb. Do you think it would work better if I took the two 512 out

Agreed, try with out thw two 512MB sticks, it could be very probable that for some reason, your motherboard or memory controller has problems with that sort of setup.

Thank you jwc122! The mother board is designed to take up to 4 gigs, but who really knows, something else I just noticed, hyper treand is turned on in the bios and the D945Gnt M/B I don't think has H/T would this matter
Thanks again to all the O/Clockers help

Oh and what is your Vdimm set at? I know my ram was running at 2.6v and I couldn't get it over 230mhz and it was DDR500 ram so that wasn't even stock yet! So I looked up the stock settings and the standard Vdimm is 2.75-2.80v so I upped it to 2.80v and now it is good all the way up to 275mhz. Now I just need an opteron 146 or 148....

Just some info that might help
slot #1 DDR2
Max bandwith PC4300 (266mhz)
manf. Kingston
Freq 200 mhz 266 mhz 266 mhz
cas#lat 3.0 4.0 5.0
ras to cas 3 4 4
ras perchange 3 4 4
tras 9 12 12
==========================================
Slot #2 DDR2
Module size 512 mb