• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2 Has Major Performance Issues!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Err, did you read the rest of the article? On Page 4 they give the actual performance numbers, and AM2 outperforms or matches the 939 setup in all benchmarks except Business Winstone 2004 where it is .4% slower. Sure the improvement is marginal, but there is an improvement, and the pure bandwith improvement is pretty large (36%).

funnyperson1 said:
Err, did you read the rest of the article? On Page 4 they give the actual performance numbers, and AM2 outperforms or matches the 939 setup in all benchmarks except Business Winstone 2004 where it is .4% slower. Sure the improvement is marginal, but there is an improvement, and the pure bandwith improvement is pretty large (36%).

yeah i did... the title was just to get people worried lol..

but the performance doesnt seem to be anywhere near as good as it should be... i mean look at the new intel chips.. the massacre all other intel chips..

you would think amd would do something for a nice big increase..

Lets hope they got something up the sleeve otherwise Intel will kick AMD in the nabs so hard its going to take them a long time to recover. Right now AM2 doesn't seem to offer anything worth while over S939.
Back to Oblivion....

It is not AM2's so much I am disgusted w/. It is your avatar. I love kiwifruit . From now on I don’t think I can touch it
I shouldn't have opened this thread :( just kidding :)

EDIT: But seriously, rest of this year looks grim for AMD. The way I see it is this: those who already invested in s939 wont have to make any move until 65nm is out. On the other hand, almost all Intel users will have to change to new "Core" architecture. And those who have to upgrade anyway, because of older system, and particularly don’t care which company, have to decide on a short term upgrade, and mostly consider price/performance more than anything else. 2007 will be a better year for any meaningful upgrade IMO. The x2 3800 is going to be a 35watts and a great overclocker, as anandtech puts it. So at least AM2 would be a good upgrade for those interested in AMD's dual core.

Edit2: I looked up x2 3800 it is $295. Don’t know how much the 35w version would be. But a conroe 2.4 ghz is almost the same price. If I was going to upgrade from an obsolete system I would definitely buy conroe. its 2.4ghz, it's 65nm, and the results are stellar. why would anyone be interested in AMD to upgrade?
For 2 years AMD knew Intel was changing the architecture. I think their thinktank have made the blunder of the century. Why didn’t AMD go straight to 65nm, and skip AM2 knowing no performance gain?

Last edited:
I don't really see why people expected huge performance gains from AM2. All it really adds is DDR2 memory support, and from the experiments that people did with memory dividers it was pretty clear that memory bandwith didn't effect the performance of the K8 cpus very much.

Honestly I think it has more to do with the K8 architecture starting to run out of gas. Conroe is so much better than previous Intel chips because is a completely new design. AMD is still rolling with the same CPU architecture that came out more than two years ago, sure they have tweaked it and added functionality, but its still the same design.

Imho, AMD's performance will not get significantly better without major architectural changes, and I hope that they have those planned. Frankly AMD has held the performance crown for quite some time while Intel sat on its hands with Netburst, this could be Intel's chance for revenge.

That is until AMD releases their 65nm , ~ a year or so from now.

The 35w, X2 3800 is nice though. :cool: .

Im sure this is all staged heh. It seems a little too convenient to me that one product comes out and a few weeks/months later the competing product comes out and only beats it by like.. 2% or 3% as we see in the graphics industry.
Im sure these people are all talking to each other and meticulously planning how to rape our pocket books with cleaver "Marketing stratagies" all the while, sharing their data and pooling all their resources to engineer one chip, with different labels :p

These numbers sure arent impressive enough for me to justify a cpu/board/mem upgrade now, but im sure they have something up their sleeve for later this year to match conroe.
Maybe they will pull and intel and figure out how to crank up their clock speeds massivly. Maybe amd will be the first to market 4x or 8x cored cpus. that would give them a real advantage.
But i have to say, this whole 35w version of certain x2's makes me a happy man. I can imagine those cpus will be pretty overclockable, and it will be nice to see decent competition for yonah's.

Valk said:
But i have to say, this whole 35w version of certain x2's makes me a happy man. I can imagine those cpus will be pretty overclockable, and it will be nice to see decent competition for yonah's.

if you mean for mobile applications, it will have to compete with Merom, basically a low voltage Conroe.

Like I've always been saying, K8L is AMD's answer to Conroe, RevF is just to add DDR2 support and to tweak the memory controller a little. K8L is due (rumored) out 1q 07.

as said abroove the amd m2 is built in the same core as the A64
so the performance will be pretty the same
the am2 will get the ddr2 witch will allow higher brandwith but in A64 case higher memory brandwidh not boost the performance alot
amd must moove to new core to get better result from their cpu

I'd say AM2 is a succes. Does what it's supposed to do, give more memory bandwidth.
35% increase in memory bandwidth? Seems alot to me. Why did people even expect major performance gains from DDR2? It has been long known that hammers don't need tons of memory bandwidth.
Now at the end of the year/ beginning next year, K8L is going to debut, on AM2, and that will bring the performance gain. Not rev F cores.
very conveniently, that's the time I'm (finally) going to buy a new computer, so if K8L is a good competitor for conroe, I might have an excuse not to buy that conroe thing, It's not that I hate intel, it's that I want to support AMD in hopes of more competition.
Oh, and I WOULD like to see AM2 with some very low latency DDR2 memory, like in the range of 3-3-3 ...

AnandTech.com said:
The disheartening news for AMD and its fans alike is that if AM2 can't offer significant performance increases over what we have now, then all Intel has to do is execute Conroe on schedule, delivering the performance we've been promised and 2006 will be painted blue. AMD has been telling us that 2007 is the year we'll see major architectural changes to their processors, so AM2 may very well be as good as it gets for now. That's still very good, of course - the fastest X2 chips still outperform the fastest Pentium D chips - but it looks like after three years K8 may finally get some competition for the performance crown.

Thats exciting... AMD's answer to conroe will come shortly after conroe's release.

Perhaps I wont jump onto the conroe wagon yet... lets see what amd can offer :cool:

what's so exciting about what you quoted?

i don't really see initial am2 offereings as an "answer" to conroe. they will need k8l + some heavily ramped up clockspeeds (like 3.5++) to offer an "answer".

hUMANbEATbOX said:
what's so exciting about what you quoted?

i don't really see initial am2 offereings as an "answer" to conroe. they will need k8l + some heavily ramped up clockspeeds (like 3.5++) to offer an "answer".

anandtech.com said:
AMD has been telling us that 2007 is the year we'll see major architectural changes

gg.

This is old news. Everyone knows that. Why do we have another tread about AM2 performance sucks?

TheCheat said:

gg? is this steam forums?

everything i've heard points to 2007 before 65nm is truely ramped up. that will give them some more mhz, but then what? (i am seriously asking, i would like to know what AMD has planned if anyone knows).

"2007 is the year..."

2007 could mean december 2007. that's nothing to be excited about IMO.

Back