• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok.. I'm going Linux for my secondary OS.. Finally.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elif Tymes

Here are my requirements:

#1) Must have a broad range of drivers available for the platform, specifically support for the Core Duo line.
#2) Must have a low impact GUI bundled with it
#3) Must have easy to use package installations
#4) Must be able to work with NTFS/FAT file systems without issues.

Not a hugely difficult list. Fill me in :)

Elif Tymes said:
Here are my requirements:

#1) Must have a broad range of drivers available for the platform, specifically support for the Core Duo line.
Should be no problem with a recent distro.
#2) Must have a low impact GUI bundled with it
Don't know about this one. What system specs are you talking about? Light weight WMs tend to have less fancy gui config tools to use. Unless you have something truely old or a very small amount or ram, KDE or GNOME should work fine.

#3) Must have easy to use package installations
Aim for something debian based, like Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

#4) Must be able to work with NTFS/FAT file systems without issues.
FAT is no problem, NTFS is more difficult. The linux NTFS driver is reverse-engineered, and currently only fully supports read only access (although write support is improving). You can get read/write support with captive, which wraps around the windows drivers, but it's substantially slower.

Heh, I don't know if Kanotix has an English version ;).

As for Debian based... I was thinking about going straight debian. I've used debian in a server enviroment before, and I really liked it.

Is there a significant difference between *untu and Debian? I'm going to probably do a PCLinux Install today, see if I like it.

It's going to be running on a Dell Inspiron 9400, so Driver support is a big deal for me. Windows didn't even detect my Wireless/Standard network cards :p.

Xandros is another very good Debian based distro. The only problem I have with the OSS version is that CD burning is intentionally linited to 2X. If you buy the standard version, it is unlocked.

Newegg is selling the Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 Standard Edition for $35.00 with a $35.00 mail in rebate, so it's actually free.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832106501

Even though I really like Xandros, IMo it still lags behind PCLinuxOS.

Tried PCLinuxOS, but it didn't have any driver support for my network cards/Intel video, so I was forced to run @ 800X600 and have no network connectivity...

My Laptop has Intel video and it works fine.

Did you download the correct ISO file? The downloads are based on your video card.

Also, was your LAN plugged in? It should still have seen it.

And was that the Live CD or an install?

Ok you guys, for some reason X11 refuses to work with my screen?

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 9400 with the integrated 950 graphics... It detects hte hardware fine, and I just use the defaults but it refuses to start.. I'll try to get a log dump

Ok, I found some info...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/i915Driver

About ubuntu, and I believe this is the issue. I forced it to use VESA instead of i810 for the driver, and that helped. I can now use 800X600 resolution(maybe more)

Which config file do you want Gnufsh? X11.conf?

I'd try chaging the screen resolution in the PCLinuxOS Control Center- you can choose the screen type and resolutio. This has more capability than the KDE resolution app.

Well, considering I'm using Kubuntu(Was using Ubuntu, decided "Meh! MAybe it's GNOME!" so I reformated as server and am running apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Anyway, the problem appears to be with driver support for the X11 system, however I don't know how to find/install the opensource drivers.

Odd, apparently the chipset is the 945, and there is very little kernel support out for it already... Hmmmm, Starting a thread on notebook support on the ubuntu forums.

Elif Tymes said:
Tried PCLinuxOS, but it didn't have any driver support for my network cards/Intel video, so I was forced to run @ 800X600 and have no network connectivity...

OK, I thought you tried PCLinux OS-

Back