• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LCD 19" Replacement for TFT8020

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

Well, my TFT8020, although having served me well, is beginning to get old. The screen is discoloring at some points, probably from the liquid crystal pooling, and I fear for it's future.

So let's talk replacements.

Questions first:
Is widescreen worth it? What worries me is that for a 19" widescreen, I -lose- height...

Now, requirements:
Larger or equal to 18.1"
Available on NewEgg or other trusted source
Less than US$400
Has a better Pixel Pitch than my TFT8020 (0.28mm)

Discuss! And have fun.

I have a viewsonic 1912wb monitor, got it from newegg, it is 19 inch widescreen, in my opinion widescreen is the future and I love having the extra space on the sides for surfing the internet and for editing videos and playing games

the resolution of my monitor is 1440 x 900 which is a 19:10 ratio
IT is a little narrow on the tops and bottons because of its resolution and size, the larger widescreen LCDs do not have this problem, because they have more resolution, but they are also much more expensive, a 21 inch widescreen lcd can cost from 600-800 dollars, my 19 inch widescreen cost 300 dollars which is cheaper than some 19 inch 4:3 monitors, its a great value and I expect to still be using this monitor for a long time, it has no ghosting, a little blacklight bleed, but that is normal with all LCDs

if you are going LCD I highly suggest widescreen because it make interacting with windows a less stressfull and more natural experience, having a widescreen monitor does require a little extra work if you want to play older games on it that were not designed for widescreen, most games it is easy to change a setting or whatever to make them work widescreen

an excelent resource for widescreen gamers is www.widescreengamingforum.com they have solutions to make most pc games run widescreen, almost all the new pc games have widescreen support built in so you wont have to worry about newer games

also you need to think about resolution, LCD montitors look much sharper at their native resolution, they become much more fuzzy when you lower their resoluition, this means in order to get the most out of your monitor in video games you need a video card that can play games at that resolution, I have a 6800GT which is over a year old, its still a great card but the newest games are certainly starting to strain it more. it runs all my games great at 1440 x 900 right now so I am very happy with it, I if you do not want to upgrade your video card right now and you play alot of games you may want to consider getting a lower resolution LCD for right now until you can upgrade the both together. if you do not do alot of gaming or do not mind running the monitor at lower than its native resolution then get as high resolution of a monitor as you can afford

I originally bought the HP 21 inch widescreen LCD but discoverd it has a slight delay in it screen which makes it impossible to use in my opinion so I returned it and got a smaller lower resolution viewsonic and I am very happy with it right now

if you are looking to save money and have to have a huge LCD then I think large 4:3 LCDS will cost less than 16:9 or 16:10 LCDS, in my opinion the extra cost is more than worth it, and the smaller LCDS there is almost no difference in price

ok, I think I gave you tons of info so now u can search for yourself and decide what you want :)

www.newegg.com is an awsome site

Problem is, I am asking not for a general overview of LCDs, but more precisely what certain people recommend as an LCD -- a lot of LCDs have similar or the same specifications, and I am asking what people believe to be the better choices.

I once ordered a LCD from sceptre, the first time they sent us the wrong model, so we sent it back, the one they sent after that was the correct model but it had several dead pixels, we got a refund and bought a samsung :)

I have this monitor, it is great, very bright, I can see things I could not see with my old LCD because it is more bright, the bottom of the screen is very poor at handling dark areas, the only Time I have noticed this is while playing HL2, dark things near the bottom of the screen are not very dark and kinda shiny, again its not that bad and I dont notice it most of the time
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116373
viewsonic also has a similar monitor that is higher resolution and 20 - 21 inches, if you want more vertical pixels then I suggest getting one of those

I'd recommend any samsung panels on the market, dell is supplied by them iirc and you can find their monitors on ebay for fairly cheap. I've seen many people point this out and its always good to keep in mind, when you go from 17" to 19" you pretty much stay at the same # of pixels (1280x1024) whereas when you jump to 20"+ you gain a lot higher resolution, so thats also something to take into consideration. Its very possible to find a dell 2005FPW on ebay for under $400, if you are patient and shop around.

I had a 19" LCD for a while and I liked it, but I felt a bit hurting for space, its big but I wanted bigger! So I went for a GDM-FW900 CRT. What? Why didnt I go LCD and never look back like so many others? Well for one thing I just find LCDs to be a bit lower quality then the well developed CRTs out there like the FW900, which used to retail for well over $2000, now is mine for less then $400. What kills me with LCDs is the scaling quality loss issues, I just cant put up with having to run all my games in a super massive resolution like the 2405FPW provides, especially new ones which may tax my hardware. With a CRT lower resolutions are far more crisp and for gaming I really dont think LCDs beat them yet (definitely getting there).

But for good LCDs, you'll mostly find the name brands are the ones that deliver, there are no hidden brands out there that will give you wicked performance at a cheap price, you most definitely get what you pay for with LCDs.

So who to look for? Dell, Gateway, and Apple all have very nice widescreen LCDs, but overall I'd say the Dells are the most popular.

Back