• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd 65nm... 2007?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, this point has been brought up by INQ, toms hardware etc.. I believe we will -see- 65nm cpus before then, but we wont be able to buy them in large quantities. I dont believe AMD will have terribly great yields with 65nm, but thats just my pessimism. Then again, they have successfully created a 45nm working SRAM model, so anything is possible :)

Careface*

after seeing Intel 65nm, I could only image what AMD is gonna be like :D , btw it will be in the same format right? s939????

-aDaM^ said:
btw it will be in the same format right? s939????

probably not for a while, im sure it will be strictly am2 for a while, then MAYBE it will trickle down to 939, kinda like 90nm on 754.

99.999% there won't be 65nm s939 chips coz that means completely different memcontrollers, not like gluing a core to a s754 package rather than s939 package it was for Rev Es...

Hold on, how come it will need a new mem controller? If the only thing they do to current s939 cpus is that they shrink the die, why will it need a new controller if the core is identical except for the size? Im not getting at you, I just want to know :)

Careface*

Expect to see Socket F cpus in 65nm this year - possibly as early as late Q3 but most likely Q4. Desktop cpus Q1 2007 probably (AM2s that is).

Careface said:
Hold on, how come it will need a new mem controller? If the only thing they do to current s939 cpus is that they shrink the die, why will it need a new controller if the core is identical except for the size? Im not getting at you, I just want to know :)

Careface*

The reason 754 is still somewhat in use, is that the chips are very similar to 939 chips. AM2 chips would not trickle down to 939 since the chip is very much different.

Back