• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my opty hit 3Ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

Hey,

I have been OCing my opty 146 lately and I am semi satisfied with the results.

I am running it on air and it still has the stock HS. It is a 146 Opty CAB2E 0546 UPMW. Here's what I have gotten so far.

2.75Ghz @ Stock volts (1.4v in bios----1.392 in CPUz) Stable
2.8Ghz @ Stock volts (1.4v in bios----1.392 in CPUz) Can do most things in windows but Not completely Stable

---

2.8Ghz @ 1.425v in bios and like 1.402 or something in CPUz, Stable

---

2.85Ghz @ 1.45v in bios/1.42v in CPUz, Stable
2.9Ghz @1.45v/1.42v in CPUz Can do most things in windows but Not completely Stable

---

I Havn't tried going to 1.475 or 1.5v because I don't feel safe doing that on this dinky little aluminium heatsink.

Throughout all these tests it was about 28-29C idle and 38-39-40CMax under load.

If I were to get a better HS and go to like 1.5/1.55v do you think I would be able to hit 3Ghz Stable?

Sure with the right hardware anything is pretty much possible.

IMO 1.5-1.55 & abetter hsf may get you there.

Humm now I am tempted, with a good HS what is the highest safe voltage that won't significantly decrease the life of your CPU?

Nevalite said:
Humm now I am tempted, with a good HS what is the highest safe voltage that won't significantly decrease the life of your CPU?

I have been using the 1.6v safe rule of thumb for 90 nm processors on air...and I am sure you can hit 3.0GHz on your 146. I am at 10x300, 1.5v on mine after burn-in.
Before burn in I needed about 1.54 to get 3.0 stable.
You might also need to bump up your HTT voltage a hair.

What do you mean burn in? I havnt done that, how do I do it?

Maybe that has to do with the fact that everytime I go to OC it seems to get a bit better...

Ya, check my thread out on here with the screenshot of my sandy... if my sandy can do it, surely ur opty can... You should be safe raising the Vcore to 1.5V, I had mine that high before I got my XP90C, and my CPU has never seen past 45C.
Check out "Sen's burn-in technique" on the General CPU forum.
Thats how I am running 10X300 at 1.425V, it really works... I would put more faith in what voltage the BIOS reports rather than software...

K I'll go check out the burn-in thing, hopefully it will work for me. Does it have to be done when the CPU is new or at any time during it's life? Mine is about 1 1/2 months old.

It can be done at any time. I started the process with mine from the very first day I got it, so I dunno if my success with it was because of that, but it should help u nonetheless. Good luck!

P.S. - Be sure to put some time into it, I "burned" mine in for almost a week.

OK tell me if I read the thread right.

For now my best stable OC is obviously(above) 2.85Ghz @ 1.45V

What I am suposed to do now is leave it at 2.85Ghz lower it back down to 1.4v and run a CPU stress program for 8 hour blocks. Even if its not a stable OC I just let it burn and burn?

Is that about right?

Yeah, even if its not stable, the main thing u wanna do is starve the CPU for power, run it so low that its on the brink of not even running ur O.S.. this will in turn make it more sensative to voltage adjustments later on... does that make any sense? Sen does a great job explaining how to burn-in in that sticky.

Yep I got it, put the CPU on a low fat diet then make him go to the gym and work out really hard, later he will be so happy u give him a burger that he will OC much better :p or something along those lines lol

no you withhold food, put him on a treadmill, and beat him with a stick. it is the onlyway to correct bad behavior.

LoL yeh that sounds like a plan.

Once I burn in I will get a better HS, up the vcor and head for 3G!

I have a problem with burning in...Right now my highest stable OC is 2.85Ghz @ 1.45v so I decided I would burn in at 2.85Ghz @1.4v problem is that like that its not stable enough to run windows.

I put it at 1.425v and it is doing fine, but thats only .025v lower than the original voltage, is that even considered a burn in? Is it worth using these settings? If not what would be better?

Thanks

New plan, would it be better to burn in at 2.8Ghz using 1.4v because I can do that, its even 1M stable. For burning in is it more important to have low volts or higher speed?

Thanks

Any ideas at what would be the best setting to use for my burn in? I need some advice here guys.

you want the burnin process to start lower than your max overclock. I used a method where I started at stock speeds and stock volts and burnt in progressively higher clocks for four hours until I had a reboot or a hang. Then upped the voltage .025 and started again until I got up to my max overclock(was 2.61, now 2.75 3d benchable)!!

Well that's not what Sen's guide said to do...

He said find your best stable OC, take the volts down like .05 -.075 from there and burn for about a week...

My best OC FULLY stable is 2.8Ghz on 1.45v so I decided to start the burning in at 2.8Ghz 1.40v thats what I'm supposed to do right?

Back