• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Drive Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tropicaldawn

I broke my DVD drive and wouldn't know where to begin as regards putting in a new one. The argos has an external one for a nice price.

Can I run games from external drives?

Yes. External drives act exactly the same except they are hot-pluggable. Bandwidth is a non-issue.

so long as your computer has USB 2.0 or Firewire on it bandwidth will not be a problem if its only USB 1.1.... well then it might be kinda slow.

No problems there. This baby has 8 USB 2.0 ports, and now I'll actually be using one of them! :)

Yeah but there's a reason you have to put the CD in every time you load a game even though the whole game is already installed on your PC. :)

Using virtual drives is not illegal, as long as you hold the liscense to the software. With fast disk subsystems, it also helps with loading. One other benefit is that it doesn't have the periodic spin up of louder optical drives. If the program or functionality was illegal, this and many other products would be off the market, including several freeware versions. I have had mainboards bundled with similar software as well.

That said, there are certain security protocols on disks that will not allow use of these programs.

Back