• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games being published on flash drives.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tropicaldawn

Does anybody think that, in the near future, games will be published on flash drives instead of optical discs?

I'd love it! I'd even pay more if needs be. I just can't look after my discs at all. I've lost my DvD drive due to inserting a badly taken care of disc. I'm hopeless.

But I don't want games distributed over the internet! I feel like I HAVE to ahve the box! Same with music.

How would you like to see games being published in the future?

I can't see this, except for maybe on the Nintendo GO! they've already said the system will use SD cards for mem saves and other stuff. I could see them sticking a pack of ROMS on an SD card and selling it in a store for way too much.

tropicaldawn said:
But I don't want games distributed over the internet! I feel like I HAVE to ahve the box! Same with music.

Is it likely they'll come in a box? If they do it's likely the box would only hold the flash drive. The game manual and any other documentation can be place on the drive itself in electronic form.

Flash media is much more expensive than a disk. Can you imagine a 6 gig flash drives cost? Do you really want to play 200+ dollars for your next new game?

A good idea, but it wont happen for a long time

Flash is a reusable medium, it would be totally unnecessary - like publishing games on DVDRWs... Or publishing games on hard disks!

It would be cool though.

Highly doubt it... Companies want profit not another money sink, expecially the console industry.

na as others have mentioned there are cost issues, and the fact that soon all PC games will be played over internet download systems.

pretty soon though flash will be cheap as hell

but imo internet downloading is the future

and how easy would it be to copy / over write a flash drive.......

All games wont 'only' be via download - ALOT and i mena ALOT of people still dont have broadband, especially in the U.S.

Yeah, it would be cool, but even if it was much cheaper it probably will never be in the few cents range that disks are.

Its too bad, some day solid state media will be very cheap... its just likely that it won't be cheap enough for decades.

Back