• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80 to 92 adapter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hm if i wanted to put a 92mm fan on my 80mm heatsink thats 80mm to 92mm or is it 92mm to 80mm? :shrug:

hm if i wanted to put a 92mm fan on my 80mm heatsink thats 80mm to 92mm or is it 92mm to 80mm?

Most cases and some heatsinks are designed with 8cm fans. 9.2cm fans offer the same airflow at a much lower RPM, resulting in quieter operation. They may also offer much higher airflow at the same RPM, resulting in better cooling. This adapter will allow you to mount a 9.2cm fan on a place designed for 8cm fans (if room allowed),
;)

http://www.directron.com/ca8092.html

This adapter may serve you better if you have the room... It's funnel shape allows the air to get to the HS with a little less back pressure than the flat adapter.. :shrug:

http://www.jab-tech.com/80mm-to-92mm-Fan-Adapter-Kit-pr-2639.html

Last edited:
bleagh said:
Adapters are often NOT a good idea. Quite simply, and adapter will increase the back pressure. Most fans used in computers produce fairly low perssure output, and they often just don't work well with the increased back pressure.

What's more, if you take an 80mm fan and a 92mm fan of about the same noise, the 92mm fan will usually have a higher CFM rating, but a LOWER pressure rating! This can result in LESS airflow from the 92mm fan with and adapter than from the 800mm without and adapter.
thanks. i think im going to stick with a 80mm fan and not use the adapter. what is the average cfm for cooling a cpu? i want to get the FBA08A12M which does about 32.1CFM and 28dBA but 32 seems pretty low to cool a cpu. my retail fan does a pretty good job but its too noisy. does anyknow one the specs of the stock amd fan that comes with the 4 copper pipe on one side? the so call *xp90-competitor

edited: or maybe i should spend a little bit more money and get a tri-blade EFB0812LE since it is the cpu we're talking about.

Last edited:
tell me how he EFB0812LE goes when you try it ;) somehow i want to save my money and try out RAID 0

Back