• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xandros - Compaq W200 wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garrett_thief2

I just installed Xandros 3.0 on my Compaq Evo n1000c laptop with a w200 wireless module, and it actually worked right out of the box! I'm typing this on it right now :D I have not been succesfull getting the wireless working properly with any other distro.

All other hardware also seems to work.

I gotta say, compared to all the other Linux flavours that i've tried, I really like Xandros. It's pretty to look at, easy to use, and fast....not bloated.

Just figured that i'd share my joy

So far, everything is working great. I'm very impressed. Very easy to use for both experienced Linux users and newbies. The only thing needing tweaking is power management, but i'm sure that won't be a big deal.

I have a bunch of computers that are going to be donated to total computer newbs, and now i'm seriously considering going with Xandros over XP Home. PCLinux was cool too, and actually quite similar to Xandros, so i'm going to look at it again too.

If you can start a computer user out on Linux, they'll never have known anything different and should be able to learn it just as easily as somebody else would learn windows for the first time. :)

Last edited:
Xandros OSS is a great distro- I just wish they hadn't cobbled the CD burning capability to only 2X ( the full version gets full capability).

I agree. I recently installed Xandros on my laptop and it works very well. I was also bummed about the cd record speed defaulting to only x2 also. Kinda sucks, but I don't really plan on burning cd's with it anyway, and if so, i'll deal with it for now. Overall, I'm pleased with Xandros and will probably keep it on my lappy for a while.

Back