• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Three words...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
"NTLDR is Missing"

I never! never! want to read those words again.

I'm just wondering how many of you out there actually save your system (windows install) when this happens? The three times that this has happened, the copying the files from the XP cd does not solve the problem and I end up having to format and start over.

I don't recall having any luck recovering my system after seeing that either. But then agian it has usually been from me doing something stupid and wasn't too worried about having to reload anyway.

Did you try running fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console?

edit: changed . to ? because I don't know the differnece between a statement and a question.

Last edited:
I've gotten it twice, and neither time would the repair from cd work...

Couldn't recopy that file, either.

Gnufsh said:
Did you try running fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console?

edit: changed . to ? because I don't know the differnece between a statement and a question.

Gnufsh you n00b at grammar :p .

I tried

Code:
copy E: i386ntldr C:
copy E: i386ntdetect.com C:

That is what, after a search here, I came up with to do.

I then tried to repair windows, it would get stuck.

So format and now I'm running lightning fast again..for the moment..

So far I've found the recovery console to be absolutely useless, a waste of my time.

I now have a backup HDD for all my important files, forget repairing Windows.

Seen this when overclocked too far from BIOS, lowering settings always fixed it for me in that scenario.

I fixed this error once by just re-checking my HDD cables. One was loose so I re attached it and rebooted and everything went back to normal.

Shelnutt2 said:
"NTLDR is Missing"

I'm just wondering how many of you out there actually save your system (windows install) when this happens? The three times that this has happened, the copying the files from the XP cd does not solve the problem and I end up having to format and start over.
Usually my response to it is "Ah **** it" as I reach for the install disc.

Shelnutt2 said:
"NTLDR is Missing"

Eh, it has only happened to me once, and I just copied it back over. After that, it worked fine, until I blew away the system, and installed Linux. ;)

for me, if i had a bootabe CD in the drive, it would detect NTLDR and boot windows, but if i didnt have a bootable cd in the drive, windows was a no go, so i had to put in a new cd drive so i wouldnt have to switch cds all the time.

i tried the recovery console and messed around with which HDD the bios sees first, i dont remember what i did, but after a lot of trouble shooting, that message finally went away.

Had the problem once and it was caused by Nortons GO BACK with 2 hard drives on IDE cables. On the phone with nortons and got document ID 20010926111363307 and fixed the problem for a while. It took for ever. I solved the problem by giving away the two hd's and instlling 1hd sata.

Back