• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poll request? Is anyone on this board an ebay power seller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lionsault_100

was wondering are any/many of you an ebay power seller? or do any of you make a primary living using ebay?

lol I've only done 3 transactions on ebay...

it takes alot of work to be a power seller on ebay... and judging by the average amount of time us overclockers spend lurking the forums I would say not many of us would have such a rank...

I tried to once...
waaaaaay too much of a headache, even though I actually made some decent
money at the time. Too many times shipping was slow from USPS or UPS and
customers seemed to thing stuff should have been there in 2 hours (beam me up
scotty, this Ebay item must be there NOW!) or customers would fight about the
shipping costs, nevermind that the item was cheaper including shipping than if they
went and bought locally. Then there were those who are never happy with what
they order, and want money back AND to keep the ordered merchandise. :(
You get the idea.

I got a friend that sells dvds on ebay. he makes like 2k a month and he seems to be happy. I dont know the details and the headaches of his business though.

heres the criteria

* Have been an active member for 90 days
* Average a minimum of $1000 in sales per month, for three consecutive months
* Achieve an overall Feedback rating of 100, of which 98% or more is positive
* Have an account in good financial standing

it wouldnt be that hard to become a power seller and brag of your title.

the main thing that holds me back from going all out on ebay is paypal. one buyer complains about something thats not your fault and suddenly youre sealed off from thousands of your dollars.

if only there was another way to accept online currency :eek:

How trustworthy are e-bay power sellers? I think I have accumulated about 2 evals in 4 years :D

I know my friend's dad makes a living off of e-bay, selling game cards/tarot cards etc. He is physically handicapped and is beset by a host of health issues. I guess that was an easy way for him to make a living.

As an aside, I've noticed e-bay copping a lot of flak from members (me included). Whilst most of the critisism is justified, imagine what it would be without e-bay? So many people (my friend's dad as a case to point) who make an honest living because of e-bay would be left high and dry. e-bay is convenient, if you are smart enough to spot scammers and take a few basic precautions. If you are a n00b like me, stick to the classifides. :D

beavismorpheus said:
the main thing that holds me back from going all out on ebay is paypal. one buyer complains about something thats not your fault and suddenly youre sealed off from thousands of your dollars.

thats so true its scary

I've built my feedback up to 431 (left over 550 for others) and have never gotten screwed by a buyer or seller. I've been using PayPal since day one and have no complaints. Two buyers filed claims against me but I do all my shipping through PayPal so it wasn't an issue. I've also filed about 5-6 non-receipt claims, and paypal refunded me on each one. I think eBay and PayPal are a great combination as long as you are smart about it. Before I buy something over $100 I always check the person's recent feedback and recently sold items to make sure they havent been posting one after another or anything. ~ My 2 cents

Just be sure to either deny or ask for permission to accept non-confirmed addys. This is the most important step for any eBay seller:

Attachments

• paypal.jpg
    paypal.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 63
beavismorpheus said:

There are many other ways to send/accept money online.

One that I have used on ebay a few times (as a buyer) is: http://corp.andale.com/x-checkout.html

Back