• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer crashing/driver error with new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

calvin233

Registered
I recently got a new computer and after setting it all up, everything appears to be fine. It runs good for awhile, but randomly it just crashes. After crashing, it boots back up and gives a windows error that claims that some driver caused windows to stop working. At first I thought it was only when something graphically intense was going on, but lately it has happened just on the desktop. Also, my screensaver, which is a simple marquee, freezes when I leave it on for any period of time, and the only way to get back to the desktop is to push the power button. I tried to run the burn-in utility on SiSoft Sandra and it froze after awhile, requiring a button push.

I really have no idea what the problem is because all of my computer buildings to this point have come off with little to no troubles with the exception of dead parts. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated because I do not want my investment to be work at a level less than it should.

Specs are:
Opteron 165
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
EVGA 7900 GT
2*1gb G-Skill Extreme Series ddr500
Antec TruePower 2.0 550W
Raptor 74.9gb

Thanks in advance

Looks like you have the same ram as me, so Im going to go out on a wimb and suggest going into the bios and making sure the correct timings are in place. My system detected that ram at 3-5-5-10 timings and made my system unstable.

But incase it is a driver, go into your event viewer and see what critical errors there are and see what their description can tell you. You can get to the event viewer through the Control Panel and going to the Administrative tools.

I checked the ram and it was set at 3-4-4-8 which is its advertised timings.

I bumped up all of those voltages a little, and since then I have not expereinced any of the the problems that I had before, so I think that might have fixed it.

Thank you to both of you.

Back