Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Seattle's finest...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 04-14-06, 10:00 PM Thread Starter   #1
SuperFarStucker

Angry Seattle's finest...

My girlfriend was ticketed 38 USD for "obstructing an unmarked (i.e. invisible)" sidewalk. The citation even states it is unmarked. Not unmarked as in 'the paint has partially worn off', but unmarked as in there was never any paint (not even the ramps). It is an extremely low foot traffic area and there is a sidewalk on the other side of the street which is typical for this part of seattle.

I think some photographs I took for her to show the magistrate will illustrate just how ridiculous this citation is.

Where is the crosswalk?

Not even a ramp!

from the other side

The crosswalk is actually across the street

not a joke...

My sentiments are reflected in the following quote from 2 smoking barrels
Quote:
Originally Posted by lock stock and 2 smoking barrels
Bacon: We've hit the jackpot, lads! We've got God-knows-how-much of this stinking weed, a ****load of cash... and a traffic warden.
Tom: What?
[Bacon holds up an unconscious man]
Tom: Jesus, Ed, we've got a traffic warden!
Bacon: I think he's still alive - he's got claret coming out of him somewhere. What did they want with a traffic warden?
Eddie: I don't know, but I don't think we need him! Knock him out and dump him at the lights!
Bacon: Knock him out? What'd ya mean, knock him out? Knock him out with what?
Eddie: I don't know! Use your imagination!
[Bacon punches the Traffic Warden, who moans in pain]
Tom: Don't touch him up! Knock him out!
Bacon: I'll knock you out in a minute! Look, you want to knock him out? *You* knock him out.
Eddie: I ****ing hate traffic wardens.
[after a pause, Tom and Eddie jump into the back of the van with Bacon; all three proceed to batter the Traffic Warden senseless]
SuperFarStucker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-06, 10:37 PM   #2
techun

argue it, with those pictures

7200.11 500gig
techun is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-06, 11:12 PM   #3
benbaked
Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member

i don't know the law but in your third picture it looks like the car is obstructing the sidewalk if you imagine it continuing into an invisible crosswalk. seems like a silly ticket, a small amount almost not worth taking time off work to go to the court magistrate.

ASUS Maximus Hero VI | i7-4770K | EVGA 680GTX FTW | G-Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 | Crucial M500 480GB
ASUS Maximus Formula SE | QX6700 | Gigabyte 4350 | OCZ Gold 2x4GB DDR2 | Intel X25-M 80GB
PS4 | Wii U | Xbox 360 (Zephyr) w/ WD3200BEVT 320GB | PS3 CECHG01 w/ WD1600BEVT 160GB

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout
benbaked is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-06, 11:43 PM   #4
Enablingwolf
Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid

10 Year Badge

You have images to show the sitting magistrate and the right to contest the summons.

I am in agreement with benbaked. Though if you feel your wrongly summoned. Utilize your right to do so.

No one ever expects Aloysius Snuffleupagus

Enablingwolf is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-14-06, 11:52 PM Thread Starter   #5
SuperFarStucker

It won't be my time 'wasted' anyway (it is my girlfriends ticket). I've contested parking tickets where I was clearly at fault (meter/time violations mostly) and they usually reduce them to some paltry sum which probably doesn't even cover the wages that the magistrate & traffic warden earned sitting there writing up the citation and making a 'decision'. What is the point of writing citations which are not even in the spirit of the 'laws' ?

I am certain that if I were to look in the seattle city code under 11.72.080 I would find that there is some restriction on parking in front of 'invisible' sidewalks which are not marked. The 'unwritten' rule is pretty much park anywhere there isn't grey/yellow/red paint or a fire hydrant in my experience. This parking spot is occupied every day and I've never seen a citation on a car parked there.
Old 04-15-06, 02:13 AM   #6
FlakMonkey

The third pic clearly shows it obstructed. And like Ben said its so small, no reason to waste time. (no matter whos time it is)

¤Western Digital 640GB + Seagate 300GB + 300GB + 200GB
¤XFX GTS 250
¤Corsair 450W
¤Lite-On DVD/RW
¤Creative SB0570 Audigy SE
¤Lian Li PC-7B Plus II
¤Mitsubishi D930SB 1600x1200
¤Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
FlakMonkey is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 11:20 AM   #7
-maddog-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlakMonkey
The third pic clearly shows it obstructed. And like Ben said its so small, no reason to waste time. (no matter whos time it is)
-maddog- is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 11:36 AM   #8
Gnufsh

I have to say, that does look obstructed to me. It quite obvious that it is a crossing (even without lines painted, you can cross at corners and the sidewalk obviously is meant to continue on either side of the street). The car blocks off nearly half of the sidewalk.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
-Sir Winston Churchill
Gnufsh is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 11:42 AM   #9
WejRepus

i agree with them... if you are going to contest it, just dont show that 3rd pic
WejRepus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 11:56 AM   #10
Fr3@k3r

Location: (Lat 47° 8' 22.1316")(Long -122° 29' 52.9152") (Lakewood Wa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlakMonkey

(HEATWARE)
Fr3@k3r is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 12:19 PM Thread Starter   #11
SuperFarStucker

Well this was less well recieved than I expected.

I guess you just have to live around here to understand why it is ridiculous, the car was parked in that exact spot for nearly two weeks (my girlfriend commutes to work via public transit), and all the sudden johnny decides that he is going to write her a ticket. If her car wasn't parked there, somebody elses would have been. I've parked there several times myself and never recieved a parking citation. I guess they needed to meet their monthly quota. Pick a street corner of seattle at random and if there isn't a crosswalk ramp or paint somebody will be parked there. Obviously they aren't very concerned that the crosswalk is 'accessible' or they would at least put paint there.
Old 04-15-06, 12:51 PM   #12
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

10 Year Badge

Just bring your photos to court. Your situation is almost as bad as the 82-year-old ticketed for jaywalking. Poor handicapped lady couldn't cross the street before the Do Not Walk light lit up, the LAPD cop should have helped her across the street if you ask me.

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 01:21 PM   #13
Captain Newbie
Senior Django-loving Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbaked
i don't know the law but in your third picture it looks like the car is obstructing the sidewalk if you imagine it continuing into an invisible crosswalk. seems like a silly ticket, a small amount almost not worth taking time off work to go to the court magistrate.
Pay the $38, as it would cost (in terms of time) more than $38 to fight it. You're not supposed to park within a certain amount of feet of an intersection anyway. (Remember: your parking violations pay for King County Metro, so at the end of the day...it's all good. )

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)
Captain Newbie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 02:06 PM   #14
Silversinksam

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Newbie
Pay the $38, as it would cost (in terms of time) more than $38 to fight it. You're not supposed to park within a certain amount of feet of an intersection anyway. (Remember: your parking violations pay for King County Metro, so at the end of the day...it's all good. )
The ticket is clearly not for parking close to an intersection, it's solely for blocking an unmarked pedestrian crossing only, you should go to court as this may result in a insurance increase. This ticket due to the unmarked crosswalk is worth taking a chance in court.

Not only that, but in this picture, you did not obstruct the unmarked crosswalk, just by looking at the picture there is room for even a wheelchair to go in front of your car. You could also probably sue the city for not having a ramp in this unmarked crosswalk for handicapped people. That crosswalk is in violation of the Disabled Persons Act

EDIT:

Call this ADA number and lodge a complaint against the City.

My Heatware

Last edited by Silversinksam; 04-15-06 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-15-06, 02:06 PM   #15
RoadWarrior

10 Year Badge

IMO the fact that it was "parked in that exact spot for nearly two weeks" is what got you the ticket. Traffic dude probably gave you a break every time he saw it, since it was only partially obstructing a badly marked sidewalk, hey anyone can park a little clumsy at times. Until he realised some dumbass was parking there ALL the time, so it got a ticket. I mean, really you only have to get out of the car to realise you parked bad, so once is a mistake, twice is an oversight, every day is sheer blind ignorance, so you got schooled.

Road Warrior

Black Belt Ubercloxx0r

"Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous Folders have fallen or may fall into the grip of OCAU and all the odious apparatus of [H]ardOCP rule, we shall not flag or fail."

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fold on the Newcastles, we shall fold on the Northwoods and Prescotts, we shall fold with growing confidence and growing strength on Venice, we shall defend our Forum, whatever the cost may be, we shall fold on the Winchesters, we shall fold on the Bartons, we shall fold on the Applebreds and Thunderbirds, we shall fold on the Coppermines; we shall never surrender!"
RoadWarrior is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 02:40 PM   #16
Fr3@k3r

Location: (Lat 47° 8' 22.1316")(Long -122° 29' 52.9152") (Lakewood Wa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFarStucker
Well this was less well recieved than I expected.

I guess you just have to live around here to understand why it is ridiculous, the car was parked in that exact spot for nearly two weeks (my girlfriend commutes to work via public transit), and all the sudden johnny decides that he is going to write her a ticket. If her car wasn't parked there, somebody elses would have been. I've parked there several times myself and never recieved a parking citation. I guess they needed to meet their monthly quota. Pick a street corner of seattle at random and if there isn't a crosswalk ramp or paint somebody will be parked there. Obviously they aren't very concerned that the crosswalk is 'accessible' or they would at least put paint there.

Get over it.. the picture cleary shows that they car is blocking the sidewalk. Maybe another cop decided to let you off.. next time dont part there and you wont get a ticket.

(HEATWARE)
Fr3@k3r is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 03:15 PM   #17
Captain Newbie
Senior Django-loving Member

It's $38.

You will spend much more than that in terms of lost time trying to fight this. That's the real point here. Diminishing returns.

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)
Captain Newbie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 04:56 PM   #18
Silversinksam

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Newbie

It's $38.

You will spend much more than that in terms of lost time trying to fight this. That's the real point here. Diminishing returns.

It's $38, but add in a possible insurance premium and it could be a $200+ per year increase for this one ticket. If you have the time I would fight this as the curb is not marked, if there is a no parking sign in that area pay the fine, if no sign fight it. I would bet anyone here that if this was my ticket, not only would I beat this ticket, I could get them to lower the curb to ADA standards and possibly have them painted.

My Heatware
Old 04-15-06, 05:14 PM   #19
ninthebin

I know here in England it would have to be marked for it to be a valid ticket, it's your local governments responsibility to make sure any crossings or whatever are clearly marked, that way you know if you should or shouldn't be there.

That being said, a little common sense on your part - the pictures don't show whats beind the car, but rolling it back a few feet wouldnt hurt the people who do have to cross there marked or not.
ninthebin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-15-06, 06:19 PM   #20
techun

file an ADA complaint, do what SSS is saying

7200.11 500gig
techun is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.