• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opty 170- stock HSF or aftermarket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaws104

Registered
Hi, about to order my parts for new rig & looking at various air cooling options for cpu. Iv'e heard the stock HSF's are very good on the opty's, so are these neccessary?. Looking for decent 2.5-2.6 o/c

Got my eye on the zalman 9500. Man that thing looks sweeeeet :p

Don't buy the 9500, put together your system, see if temps are an issue; if they are, buy the 9500 then.

I personally don't like Zalman all that much. I would also start with the stock HSF and if temps are an issue I would go for a Scythe Ninja or an XP-120.

I've got the stock HS on my Opti 165 and I'm at 2.46 w/ 28-45 degree C temps Since the 165 is a 9x multi instead of your 10x, you should be fine with the stock, believe me.

For a relatively modest OC of 2.6 the stock heatsink should be quite adequate. Of course, once you hit that you won't be happy until you push it higher and then you may need a bit more cooling.:)

Back