• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Linux Wireless Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

One of the major issues I have discovered, is wireless in linux. Although people say certain devices work perfectly that is not always the case. I want to compile a list of hardware from users here, and there experience with the hardware.

Manufacturer D-Link
Model Number DWL-G122 A2
Interface USB
Speed 802.11g
Chipset Prism
Additional Comments Use Ndiswrapper and Drivers on Supplied CD.
Tends to Freeze and drop every so often.

Last edited:
I know you said a list from users here, but this is hard to turn down.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/

It is where I go first for my linux hardware.

BTW, I have a:
D-Link DWL-520G Rev. B
Atheros Chipset
Madwifi or Madwifi-ng Drivers (http://madwifi.org/)
PCI Interface
802.11G
Works great. No hangups, and I get great range using the new Madwifi-ng drivers.

Last edited:
Compaq Evo N1000C
Compaq W200 wireless module, usb interface

Works perfectly with Xandros 3.0 out of the box, no messing around.

This wireless card is very difficult to get working with Linux. I have tried many distros, and Xandros is the only one that could make it work, and it worked immediatly. :)

This thread is pointless unless you specifcy what drivers you are using and from where, not to mention the chipset being used.

I have a Linksys Card A Division of Cisco Systems [AirConn] INPROCOMM IPN 2220 Wireless LAN Adapter (rev 01).. The origional Acer driver does not work however the driver on Linksys site works under ndiswrapper without problems in 32bit Linux can not get this card to work in 64 bit Linux

Cisco Aironet 350
PCMCIA
no issues

Orinoco Gold
PCMCIA
no issues

NETGEAR MA521
Realtek chipset
PCMCIA
works natively with some fuss - NDISwrapper also works with promiscous mode (no good for wardriving)

:attn: Asus WL-130g (I think, it may be 127g or something, they stopped advertising it on their site 5 minutes after I bought mine)
802.11b/g
Ralink RT2500 chipset
Supported perfectly via rt2500 module, am testing with rt2x00 module. The rt2x00 module is supposedly going to be incorporated into the main kernel tree soon.
Works with kismet (MUAHAHAHAHA)

Linksys WMP55AG
802.11b/g/a
Supported via madwifi (probably also madwifi-ng, haven't tried yet)
Works for my G network, don't have an A network to try with.

Intel 3945abg
Using the "Official" Intel released Linux drivers for it.
I can't seem to get it to work, but that's probably my Linux Noviceness shining through.

D-Link DWL-G510 Rev. B
Atheros chipset
PCI
802.11g
lspci output:
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. Unknown device 001a (rev 01)

Works just fine w/ both ndiswrapper & XP drivers, or with madwifi-ng

Fujitsu S6231 Laptop
Integrated Intel Pro Wireless 2200 802.11 B/G

Quest Wireless 802.11G DSL Modem

PCLinuxOS ver.92

PCLinuxOS is the only distro that correctly identified and installed my IPW2200- works flawlessly with my DSL wireless and with hotel wifi.

Back