• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So wait... What's happening with Opteron Prices??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThetaDot

I don't *quite* understand this "AMD Pricewar" thing.

Can somebody tell me if buying two 265's or two 270's now as opposed to later will save me money? How much later?

I tried calling Miss Cleo but the line's busy :[

Okay, I suppose that sounds like a dumb question. Of course the prices will EVENTUALLY come down.

I want to set this computer up over this summer.
It's a fight between saving money, and actually putting them in the computer soon enough that I can actually use it for some decent amount of work.

I can't find the link to the roadmap thing... any idea when that will be?

bah.. Okay. Looks like I'll not be waiting then.

Newegg says 345 for a 265.. and 499 for a 270.. that's a HUGE difference for only 200MHz.
It seems to me like the 265 is more bang for the buck, but I'm not sure if my IWill DK8N can OC or not.

well, the guys over at overdrivepc use the MSI K8N Master2-far2, and overclock with it

EDITED!!!!!

Last edited:
Aside from OC'ing capabilities, the DK8N pwns that board AFAIK (I'd like to think so, since the DK8N wasn't very cheap).

2CPU or the guys over in the SMP section would help with picking out OCing parts for a dualy.. the bio's are not helpfull with these boards.. programs like clockgen are used for OCing.
They say the Asus K8DL seems to have the best results, but you already have the Iwill offering.. Highendtoys has one of each opty dualy boards and is testing them.. Maybe, once he gets some results you could see what his verdict is on the Iwill.
I have no idea what the Vdroop is like on these (I would look into possible volt mods for these boards if your serious about getting a strong OC)
Oh.. and I dont think the 270 is worth the extra $$ IMHO Id get the 265's and overclock'em

Right, The 265's are at a much more attractive price, and if I CAN OC with the DK8N, that'll be my best option.
Thanks for all the input!

greenmaji said:
2CPU or the guys over in the SMP section would help with picking out OCing parts for a dualy.. the bio's are not helpfull with these boards.. programs like clockgen are used for OCing.
They say the Asus K8DL seems to have the best results, but you already have the Iwill offering.. Highendtoys has one of each opty dualy boards and is testing them.. Maybe, once he gets some results you could see what his verdict is on the Iwill.
I have no idea what the Vdroop is like on these (I would look into possible volt mods for these boards if your serious about getting a strong OC)
Oh.. and I dont think the 270 is worth the extra $$ IMHO Id get the 265's and overclock'em

Oh.. wow I've never heard of clockgen before. I assumed any OC'ing would have to rely heavily on what the BIOS allowed. You say Highendtoys is testing the DK8N? I PM'ed him last night, actually haha.
Very interesting..

If you're going to be building over the summer I suggest you start researching a bit, Q3 is supposed to bring socket F to the table. I'm not sure about initial prices but they should be pretty close to current Opteron prices I guess.
This will also bring DDR2, and a lot better upgrade ability options to the table.

Bah... don't tempt me :[
I had originally intended to buy 2 new procs, 2 sticks of ram, and be done.
Amazing how my setup is now becoming obsolete and it's not even 10 months old.

I wouldn't say your system is getting that obsolete.. If the desktop predictions are any indcation of how socket F is going to perform your not looking at but maybe 7% loss of performace tops this go round (maybe next year you'll see hardware that will really blow yours away) but four physical A64 cores, obsolete????? WHHHAAAA? LOL.. I really don't think so ;)
Some decent info on your mobo should be here somewere..
http://forums.2cpu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
I would search for voltmods and possibly other hardware modification of your motherboard. :D
and check out overclocking software (I just threw clockgen out there its not the only one).. you should be able to overclock your 244's that would give you some indication on how sucessfull you will be overclocking a set of 265's.

greenmaji said:
I wouldn't say your system is getting that obsolete.. If the desktop predictions are any indcation of how socket F is going to perform your not looking at but maybe 7% loss of performace tops this go round (maybe next year you'll see hardware that will really blow yours away) but four physical A64 cores, obsolete????? WHHHAAAA? LOL.. I really don't think so ;)
Some decent info on your mobo should be here somewere..
http://forums.2cpu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
I would search for voltmods and possibly other hardware modification of your motherboard. :D
and check out overclocking software (I just threw clockgen out there its not the only one).. you should be able to overclock your 244's that would give you some indication on how sucessfull you will be overclocking a set of 265's.

haha I hope so. I tried clockgen for fun. Upped the 244 by only 50MHz and the computer went blip!

It's only single-core so HT was disabled. Don't think it was the RAM.. Don't know how it could be?

Back