• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hotter hd temp after changing position?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK i have a Hitachi Deskstar 200gb hd... great hd. N e ways i ust to have it in my normal internal 3.5 bay right in front of my intake fans and it would sit there at a happy 28-29*C now that i flipped it vertical and rubber mounted it it sits around 32-34*C (in the same area infront of my intake fans.... why is this? Is it because there is no metal contact to the case to weep away the heat? or is it beacuse i flipped it from horizontal to vertical. Is there any thing bad about setting an hd perpendicular to the bottom of the case? the ambient temps are right around the same.

PS... ITS MUCH quieter now, and it was quiet to begin with.

From the description I can't quite picture the layout, but my best guess is that either the surface area exposed to the airflow has dropped or the surfaces are receiving unequal amounts of airflow.

The lack of metal contact and the way the air is now flowing over the drive, both are probably the reason for the slight increase in temp.

probably... cus the air flow to the bottom spindle is being blocked now by an ide cable... ill take some pics when i get home. Also it has no direct metal contact, i do have a ground cable from the side of the hd connected to the case but nothing to weep away heat...

The airflow is paramount. Drives can and do keep cool running on top of desks because of the ambient air on most sides. Laminated particle board is not the best heat conductor, so the air does its part. Likewise, even in high-density rackmounts or old pizza-box machines drives are kept cool provided they have active airflow over the top & bottom of the drive chassis. In both those situations the metal to metal contact is very low.

There was a thread here where this was talked about. I haven't seen anything on manufactures sites that says they should only be mounted flat. Compaq presarios had their drives mounted vertical and I believe some Dells do also. I had the drive mounted on its side in my first build, I used it for several years like that and had no problems and it was a used drive when I got it.

While my HDD's aren't touching metal the platers read roughly around the mid to upper 20's. There mounted on the rubber pads to help with vibration noise. I have a 120mm intake fan blowing air across them mainly.

I also have some older harddrives in my other rig that run about the same temp and are running on end with 2 80mm fans blowing over them (intake into the case).

Back