• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first timer :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilT

i have 2 window units layin in the barn and was wondering can i turn them into an cascade system, first is there an case that i can put this and the computer in, second i need some tips :). thanks

the parts you could salvage would only be the beginning of what you'd need, plus cascades take a lot of skill to build. even if both the compressors you salvage would be big enough (doubtful) you'd only have two compressors and a refrigerant to air condensor and you'd need a ton of other parts.

building your own phase change is very tricky, but if you understand how it works and have technical knowledge, its very do-able.

I would suggest you read LOTS and LOTS of guide and project worklogs from people that did homemade phasechange.

my uncle works for carriar so hes gona help me when i need it
i help him sometimes and know some of the basics

Last edited:
im gona take inventory today and c what i got and got to get, so far i got to get new dryers, 2 txv's, reciever, and dont know what else. these units are a coupld yrs old like 3-5 so i might just get my unc to order some new ones

crimedog said:
do yourself a favor and build a simple single stage using the compressor and condensor from a window unit first :)
i prob will if i have to buy an new compressor which im pretty sure i will have to do :(

That link was very informative, but it covered conventional refrigeration and not so much of using that process for cooling a cpu. What kinds of modifications do you need to do in order to convert a simple single stage refrigeration setup to cool a cpu?

EvilT said:
i prob will if i have to buy an new compressor which im pretty sure i will have to do :(

Make sure you get a good compressor, its probably the most important part. 1/2 or 3/4HP = pwnage.

EvilT said:

I REALLY think it would be a GREAT idea regardless of wether or not your going to need a new compressor..

btw. Most first time cascade builds go more smoothly with cap tubes from what Ive read (and alot of experinced cascade builders perfer cap tubes) over other refegerant metering methods.

atm i have an 1/2hp 5050btu rotary compressor, which is my window unit in my shed but im goin to the pwn shop sometime this week and will look for an bigger one

Thats plenty big enough to get you started.. Build a single stage first to get some experince with the compressor you have (you don't need a bigger one)

Back