• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 SCSI HHDs in RAID0 = horrible performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegreek

I just put 2 73GB Fujitsu 15K drives in RAID 0 and I get this:

raid.jpg

I am using an LSI MegaRaid 320-2E (PCI-E). It's probably a setting in the card that is causing this and I don't know how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Perhaps it needs a driver or BIOS update? Could it be set for a legacy PCI mode? PCI-E should have more bandwidth than that. Are there other devices that might be slowing it? SCSI terminator set correctly?

-Rav

Looks like it's running asynch at SCSI-2 rates. Check termination first. Also check that the drives are not jumpered as force SE. Make sure that termination power is enabled on either the drives or the controller. Check the stripe size in SCSI BIOS. Some default configs are as low as 8K and can kill performance. Are the cables and terminators labeled as U320 or U160? Many of the unlabeled cables on the market are lower level SCSI-2 cables and can affect performance. Are the drives on both channels? If not separate them, as there will be no contention issues and you will get better performance. For reference one of my smaller arrays(5 drive RAID-5 on a ServeRAID 6i zero channel attached to an LSI 1030) gets around 200 read and 160 write.

I put each drive on it own cable and jumpped 15+16 on both drives and I get this:

raid3.jpg

I still have no idea what's going on

thegreek.. man this is horrible.. I hope the situation as improved with some experimentation (or some googleing of the terms on your jumper set)
were you able to positively identify your cables as U320's?
and why did you jump force LVD mode (I thought that was one of the old SCSI standards like ultra-wide (you know the first one up from standard :eek: )
is 23 & 24 jumped?
have you found any manual's to these drives (I seem to remember this particular model being VERY popular server drives there has to be some documentation somewere)

I've been paying around with the controller and switching cables and got this:

raid4.jpg

Is this what I should expect?

what is the model number of the drives? a RAID0 should be very close to 2x Min Read with that setup.

edit: It also looks like you have over tweeked or turned off all your caching because your burst speed is no where near what it should be, you should get close to 300MB/s burst.

Last edited:
infinitevalence said:
what is the model number of the drives? a RAID0 should be very close to 2x Min Read with that setup.

edit: It also looks like you have over tweeked or turned off all your caching because your burst speed is no where near what it should be, you should get close to 300MB/s burst.
I'll go back into the controllers bios and see if I did anything with the cache

@infinitevalence.. Maxtor Atlas 15K 73.4 GB Ultra320 SCSI's.. I dont know wich pin layout they have our Id give you the modle number.

I wouldnt think they would fire up if you dont have the terminatior on the last connection btw.

infinitevalence.. do you have any insite on the jumper settings he should be using from the pic up there?

The will work with out a terminator but at reducecd perforamnce. He really shuld leave it all as default except for the SCSI ID that needs to be set in pins 1-8. You could try the Force LVD but i dont think it will help any.

Back