• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on to sell a dual core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Okay here is the situation.

I have a machine running now x2 4200 gb of ram (going to RMA it) x700 pro ASUS an8SLI etc etc

I am gettign a 2700 sandy in the mail. All I need is a mobo and ram and maybe an optical drive to get a 2nd machine up and running

Now the original goal was to run the 3700 on my asus with some nvidia cards and grabbing a microATX board (that DFI available on newegg with svideo out)

Thinking a dually and a 2GB of RAM would just make the homeserver shine
(running a home webserver as well as media/file/print server and eventually with a AIW or hauppage turning it into a PVR...)

Now considering I might be able to get 300 for my 4200 is it worth losing the dual core goodness to have 2 seperate machines running?

If so Im think 100 plus whatthe 4200 brings in for the second machine
(IE that DFI board.. 2GB of gskill and that leaves like 150 for a cpu)

I have been thinking for the longest time I would have a second machine and it just has not turned out htat way yet...(well except for me celeron 466MHz machine)

So what would you do?

Sell the dually goodness even though it would make a much better server.
Or just sell the 3700 since you wont be able to use it for months, and get 2GB of ram so I can RMA this ****ty OCZ?

(IF I Wait it might not be as good but a sempron media server would be muc h cheaper and I can wait till I get hte OCZ back...)

Dually would be overkill for a home web server

Heck, Dual 1Ghz would be overkill, unless your sitting on a 8MB Up/Down trunk, and utilize a huge PHP application or something crazy like that :p.

It would be nice for an HTPC though.

Well that is what it would be, once i get a nice AIW card for it. it hte meantime it would have been a bittorrent machine with media display (Connected to thte TV) plus being a webserver as well as anything else I can think Of throwing at it :)

Obviously if its a single core I will adjust....

but was thinking of going hog wild.. (like runing the 2 GB in it instead of the gaming rig etc etc)

Oh man... is it worth waiting???? Its conceivable I may have a new job as early as next week and could always get a piar of 4400 to make me happy

If not though :(

Argh!! I hate these kinda decisions. Please.. everyone tell me what they would do... so I can get a general impresion :)

Back