• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video overlay doesn’t work at resolutions above 1920x1440.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soong

I have an LCD with a native resolution of 2560x1600. I noticed a while ago that the video overlay/DVD acceleration wasn’t working. I had pretty much given up having tried every driver and DVD player I could get my hands on with no success. Then I noticed that it (the overlay) worked on my secondary display running at 1200x1600. I had a hunch. I lowered the res on my primary display to 1280x800 and low and behold, the overlay was working. After experimenting I discovered it worked on resolutions up to and including 1920x1440. The overlay does not work at 2048x1536 or 2560x1600.

I determined the overlay wasn’t working in three different ways. 1) DVDs look like **** when it’s not working. 2) The CCC overlay controls (gamma, color saturation, etc.) work in real time when the overlay is in use, and they do nothing when it isn’t. 3) Using the Print Screen button and pasting it into Photoshop. When the overlay isn’t working I see a freeze frame of the video in the DVD player window within the screen shot; when it is working I see a bit of the video playing underneath, within the screen shot within Photoshop (if the video isn’t playing underneath, the screen shot shows a black window where the DVD player is.).

Littered throughout my System Log in the System Event Viewer are these:
Capture5106182635.PNG

I’m sure it’s related. What the hell does it mean and how do I fix it. 2560x1600 is not listed on the side of the box my x1800 came it but 2048x1536 is. A small part of me could almost accept a copout on the 2560x1600 not working considering it is not listed on the box as a supported resolution even though the card is obviously designed to support this resolution with dual DVI dual-link connections. 2048x1536 is listed and the overlay should work at this resolution.

The problem is with video overlay and not just DVD acceleration. The same symptoms occur with DVD playback or normal video file playback (regardless of codec). As long as I drop the resolution to 1920x1440 or lower the overlay works fine for both video file and DVD playback. On a CRT I could defiantly get by but I’m using LCDs and running at native resolution is a big deal.

I’m currently running cat 6.3. I know 6.4 just came out and I will try it but I do not anticipate a miracle.

What refresh rate are you running at? The only thing I can think of that would possibly be failing is the card's RAMDAC. The RAMDAC should handle a maximum load of dual (or single + one overlay) displays running at 2048x1536@60Hz. Doing a few back of the sheet calculations show that it should also die above 1920x1440@72Hz. Given that 72Hz is an option (though admittedly not one often used for LCDs), it makes me wonder if your refresh is higher than 60Hz for some reason.

JigPu

I run at 60Hz at all resolutions. I will try disabling the second display and see if overlay then works at 2048x1536.

Ah, dual display could cause the problem as well (I looked, but didn't see you mention you were running dual). If running only one display with one overlay dosen't improve the situation any, them I'm out of ideas :(

JigPu

Even with the secondary display disabled, the maximum resolution the overlay works at is 1920x1440. :sadpanda:

Back