• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVI to HDMI quality control..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlackerTK421

I'm running dual ATi 1900s on a 27" Westinghouse LCD TV. Yesterday I bought a DVI to HDMI cable because my TV is 1080 compliant, what shocked me was the loss of picture quality. With the VGA the text is crisp and there is no ghosting in games whatsoever. With the HDMI the text is barely legible nomatter what size it is and the games ghost terribly. It's like someone hit you on the head and you have blurred vision the entire time in COD2 now.

My TV have the HD tuner built in. I was wondering is there is anyway to increase the picture quality..

The terrible quality is probably due to the fact it is actually a 1280x720 panel but it internally resamples 1080 signals, i.e. not really a 1080 screen. I can almost guarantee this as it is only a 27" lcd tv. DVI-HDMI is a zero signal loss conversion. HDMI simply has more bandwidth for audio and supports HDCP transport.

27" LCD HDTV
LTV-27w6 HD

This exciting Westinghouse 27” LCD HDTV is packed with all of the latest innovations for an amazing entertainment experience. Now your living room or bedroom will have a TV that has a fully integrated HDTV tuner built-in, so you can enjoy over-the-air high definition reception with enhanced audio and video reproduction without a set-top box or an associated monthly fee. Connect all your latest gadgets; DVD player, cable, satellite, media PC and game console on to this TV.

Latest Technology: This LCD TV delivers superb picture quality while minimizing artifacts via an advanced 10-bit video processing technique. No need to toggle between standard definition TV and high definition TV stations we have combined both in to one channel list.

Design Innovation: This LCD TV features the innovative SpineDesign ® allowing easy side access to all of the connectors while still on the wall. Placement in your home is a cinch; at 4.4 inches deep (w/o base) this TV easily mounts on a wall or can be placed in an armoire.

Convenience:

Direct Access: The enclosed remote comes with 3 Programmable Hot-Keys for fast direct channel access.

Input Label: Develop your own labels for all your input connectors for easy identification.

Display Specifications
Viewable Screen Size 27" Diagonal
16:9 Aspect ratio
Native/Optimum Resolution 1366 x 768
16.7 Million colors
Compatible Modes
NTSC
HDTV
PC 480i
480p, 720p, 1080i
640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1360 x 768
Contrast Ratio 1000:1

Color Gamut 75% NTSC
Lamp Life 60,000 Hrs
Viewing Angle 176° Horizontal
176° Vertical
Response Time 8 ms

TV Features
Audio 2-10 watt speakers
Tuner 1 Cable-ready NTSC / HDTV ATSC/Clear QAM
Video Processing Digital 3D Comb, Motion adaptive De-Interlacing, MTS/SAP, V-Chip, Closed Caption & EPG

Physical Dimensions 21.5" (h) x 27.6" (w) x 8.1" (d) (with Base)
28 lbs (with Base)
19.8" (h) x 27.6" (w) x 4.4" (d) (w/o Base)
24 lbs (w/o Base)
Connectors 1 Composite Video In, 1 S-Video In, 2 YPbPr In, 1 DVI-HDCP In, 1 HDMI-HDCP In, 1 VGA In, 1 VGA Audio In (mini), 5 Dual RCA Audio In, 1 RJ45 for Service, 1 Antenna In, 1 Power In, 1 Dual RCA Audio Out, 1 Digital Audio Output
Cabinet Color Black
Installation Options 8 Hole pattern, 75mm and 100mm

This kills me when manufacturers do this, that's why you have to read the specs on all these damned "HDTVs" before you buy them and that's why a GREAT number of consumers are going to be seriously POed when REAL HD content is out there. Your 27" LCD is ONLY capable of 720P. It WILL NOT do 1080i because that would require a resolution of 1920x1080 where yours will only do 1360x768. It probably downsamples a 1080i signal to 1360x768 for a quasi 1080i mode but you still end up losing A LOT of resolution in the process and are not experiencing 1080i in its' true HD form. :(

Back