• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with my overheated CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geejay

Registered
Hi, all
I am a newbie.
My system configuration is:
AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ (Rev E4) w/ stock Fan&heatsink
Abit AX8
Corsair PC3200 DDR400 2GB
Visiontek XTASY RADEON X800
WD Raptor 74GB
Seagate SATA 300GB
MGE Vigor450 450W
Thermaltake WinGo 7000D

My idel temperature w/o any OC is as follows with room temperature of 28C:
CPU 48C, SYS 35C, PWM 45C

I have heard many people use stock fan and reach only about 45C in load model after OC to 2.4G (from 1.8G)

I don't know why mine got such high temperature. :bang head
Can anybody help me that?
Thanks!

Komitet said:
Try lowering your ambient temperature, 28 degrees in a house is way too hot, air conditioner?

i know it is a little bit high. But even at about 25C, my CPU is still higher than 40 without OC.

Have you checked your temps with the side panel off, and a fan blowing room air into the case?
This will help show if your case air flow is bad!
Have you physically touched the HS to see if its hot? (under load) :drool:

What thermal paste are you using? Using Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique will lower your temps significantly over stock paste.

And what are your temps with the side door off?

rseven said:
Also, just remember that some boards just read hotter than others and it is fruitless to compare readings.

And as most of us know Abit has been notorious for this. On a side note you may want to make sure you have latest BIOS version for your board. On several occastions Abit has released BIOS upgrades for some of their MBs to "fix" reported temperature readings.

Electron Chaser said:
And as most of us know Abit has been notorious for this. On a side note you may want to make sure you have latest BIOS version for your board. On several occastions Abit has released BIOS upgrades for some of their MBs to "fix" reported temperature readings.

Thanks for the info.
My BIOS is the latest and I use a digital thermal meter to check my chase temperature and it shows the actual temperature is about 3C off the MB told me. how do you guys think the error?

itshondo said:
What thermal paste are you using? Using Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique will lower your temps significantly over stock paste.

I know that arctic silver 5 is the best, but I also saw some people without any special things like this still kept their CPU much cooler than mine after OC. :shrug:

itshondo said:

In order to remove my old paste and apply arctic silver 5 do I need all of the following things?
Coarse Lapping Kit, and Premium Lapping kit with glass and ArctiClean

Thanks!

geejay said:
In order to remove my old paste and apply arctic silver 5 do I need all of the following things?
Coarse Lapping Kit, and Premium Lapping kit with glass and ArctiClean

Thanks!

You really only need some alcohol a paper towel and maybe a few Q-tips to remove the thermal paste. No if you want to lap it that is up to you. Though I would start with some real fine sandpaper first to get a good idea on how concave or convex the surface of your HS really is.

itshondo said:
I'd try the Arctic Silver before I lapped the heatsink-

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.

I just run a temperature test for my pc.
My current room temperature is 24C and PC was turned off for about 6 hours before turning on.
I insert a digital thermalmeter sensor into the Heatsink on my CPU to measure the actual heatsink temperature (HS).
After turning on I just enter the BIOS setting to read the temperature.
The time between power on and first data point is about 30s.

The test was first run with closed chase and then switched to open Chase with a 40cm (diameter) Fan placing at about 20 cm from the chase and finally I place the fan right beside the chase.

Here is the figure. Hope someone can tell me what's going on there. :confused:

Here is the figure. Hope someone can tell me what's going on there.

It shows poor air flow in the case.

What case do you have? Can you post a pic of it? Or a link to it.

What size case fans and locations?

As the table shows, the higher your case temp (and fan inlet temp), the hotter the CPU temp. It's no wonder that many are finding fresh air ducts to be a very effective solution at lowering CPU temps. Effective CPU cooling requires BOTH a good heatsink and airflow through the case.

To test out how much case temp impacts your system, open the side of the case, aim a house fan at the motherboard and record temps under stress. This is "best case" for airflow through the case.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/p4sum.asp

When you lower case temps and CPU temps are only slightly affected this means that your heatsink is maxed out. That case looks to have very good air circulation. What you need to do is invest in a more capable heatsink and fan.

I'd go for a homemade fan duct for his CPU. It's free and effective. And maybe clean off the HSF while he's at it.

And as RSeven mentioned, how do you really KNOW that the other people are actually running at 45C load OC'ed (and at what ambient)? Maybe your temps are just fine.

Back