• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer threw a fit!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

What happened!?

So, I have my computer on 24/7 these days, with lovely tornado fans and such and SMART monitoring on two of my hard drives (stupid RAID card...). Anyways, this comptuer is on and Folding.

Last night the apartment temperature was anywhere from 68 to 73 F and I haven't been having overheating problems. Irregardless, I'm certain an overheat warning would have woke me up. All I do know is that I went to sleep and my computer was fine. I woke up and it was off... ish.

<edit> I guess I can sleep through a sudden peace and quiet, eh? :) </edit>

All components were off but the power light was solid green. Hitting the power and reset buttons did nothing. I had to hold down the power switch for 5 seconds or so to switch off my computer and then start it. It booted normally.

Speedfan recorded nothing but then again I never got around to setting up recording. Windows management logs, ziltch. Folding gives me something though... note that it is now 8:02 AM and folding now says it is 12:02 PM, so the time is relative and not exact...

[09:36:17] Writing local files
[09:36:17] Completed 6400000 out of 10000000 steps (64)
[10:05:30] Writing local files
[10:05:30] Completed 6500000 out of 10000000 steps (65)

--- Opening Log file [April 21 12:00:58]

The last line indicates that there was some sort of sudden program issue, like a force quit. Below is a normal client shutdown that I simulated (and the following restart)...

[12:01:39] Using table 3
[12:01:39] Completed 6500000 out of 10000000 steps (65)

Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

--- Opening Log file [April 21 12:04:19]

Attached is a Smartfan screenshot showing current status (under load).

My VCOREA, on the charts, has been as high as 1.62 and as low as 1.55 (in a spike) but 1.57 is a more common low. My -12V rail has been as low as -11.66 and as high as -11.78 depending on if I am under load or not. I'm not sure but I thought I saw a lower number recently...

GRRR

So, is this something to really worry about and if so what should I be looking for? Where should I look?

AMD Athlon 1800+ OCed to 2400+ speeds (with a slight voltage increase, mind you)
Asus A7N8X motherboard, rev 1 or so
Thermaltake Silent Purepower PSU, 480 W
4 Hdds (2 on SMART), 2 optical drives
3 Tornado fans, 1 Smart fan, 1 fan fan... :)
Solid for years
Attached to a very powerful UPS (1000 AVR) that would have beeped its' head off if the power failed... and if it died then it would have stayed off... Irregardless, a nearby rig (Linux) was perfectly fine, so no power failure...
any other questions and I'll be glad to tell you

Attachments

• load.jpg
    load.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Here is what a normal shutdown looks like on my computer. It lets you know it was a user request.
[14:33:28] Folding@home Core Shutdown: INTERRUPTED
[14:33:32] CoreStatus = 66 (102)
[14:33:32] + Shutdown requested by user. Exiting.***** Got a SIGTERM signal (2)

Folding@Home Client Shutdown.
The times listed in you FAH log are Stanford's times, not local time.

What your explaining sounds like a power issue. Do you have problems with brown outs/ power surges in your area?

You might also want to check your Event Viewer and see if any services could have been involved in the shutdown.

I checked the event viewer, it didn't say anything. As for brownouts and alike, it would seem more like a brownout I would think because the power light was still on. However, considering that the computer is attached to a UPS and that nothing else, including another computer in the same room, was effected, I don't see how it could have been a brownout...

I can do more research when I get back home in a couple of hours.

Update : Bad

My computer was giving no conclusive evidence, I couldn't figure out what caused the earlier issues and I was going to post when something happened.

Something happened.

My computer turned off, same way (Power light was on, nothing else was). Held down the power button to turn off the power light, hit the power button, had a half second of power... *insert bad word* So, go through some troubleshooting, eventually unplug the PSU from the motherboard and do the pin trick (green wire to black) to turn it on... nope, all it does is a half second of power and that is it.

:(

Now I need to emergency buy parts and emergency get my computer back operational. Well, my laptop (I am on it) can handle some stuff but not everything...

I thought that Thermaltake PSU might have had something to do with it, and it seems like that's what failed. IMHO Thermaltake doesn't make very good PSUs (although they're better than a lot of brands). Just get another (better) PSU and see if everything works when hooked up to that one.

On a separate note, why were you using a "silent" PSU with 3 tornados? :eh?:

Soichiro said:
<snip>
On a separate note, why were you using a "silent" PSU with 3 tornados? :eh?:

It was on sale and I had high hopes for my next rig, actually. :)

Back