• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Question About Nero 6.6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Can anyone tell me about the green buffer bars on the burning progress screen you get ones called Used Read Buffer. Which I'm assuming is reading data off the hard drive. And the other one at the bottom which is for your DVD/CD-RW but it's weird cause when I burn a CD-R it's always varies between 94% - 100%.

But when burning data to DVD-R it's 85% - 94% then just before I typed this I had no IE windows open. Nothing running apart from Nero I created a DVD Data Disc and watched it till it finished burning. And it was around 80% then dropped to 65% does this mean my burner it on it's last legs I've only had it 9 months and hardly used it.

So my burner is not on it's last legs then that's good I'm trying to understand about different programs as much as possible. As least now I understand what the bars mean thanks very much.

From what I understand, the "Big" buffer is the RAM buffer (upto 80MB IIRC), and the second "Smaller" buffer by the Drive is the Drive's internal Buffer (Usually 2MB).

The RAM buffer takes the DATA from the HD, and sends a steady stream to the IDE Bus (this Buffer is used for HD Seeking, etc as the HD might need to seek other data). The IDE bus sends this steady data stream data to the drive's internal Buffer. This internal buffer provides a steady stream of data to the Laser Control Circuitry (this buffer is used for interrupts in the IDE bus).

I could be very wrong. :)

:cool:

Randy that's better than nothing and it's a very good solution to understand how Nero burns. I'm going with what you said as I think it makes sense right now I'm burning .SHN files for a friend. As he can't on his MAC OSX at the moment it's strange when burning these files.

The burners Buffer bar is at 45% and the HDD 1 is at 100% then falls to 35% it seems Nero burns each .SHN file individually. So it doesn't cause buffer under runs and errors which is good.

Back