• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Need a STABLE wireless router???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hybris6

Hi I recently bought a laptop with wlan and a netgear WGT 624 router. Its only good for browsing homepages but as soon as I try to play any online game or download stuff the router crash and burns so I have to run in and switch the power off/on to get it back online. Its pretty annoying especially since it crashes every 2 minutes.

I called support and made tons of changes including but not limited to:

Change encryption, Channel, mtu size, turn off firewall set computer to DMZ...

Today I finally gave up and by using all my willpower I managed to refrain myself from throwing the router out the window.. instead im gonna try to get my money back and buy a new working router.

So does anyone here have a suggestion of a good stable wireless router with good troughput so I can use it to play online games and download files (using internet download manager). ?

Any reccomendation would be greatly appriciated.

Had a Linksys for going on several years now without a single problem. No random disconnects, no lag, overall an awsome router. It's the WRT54GS that i'm currently using. Great router for me so far anyways.

same i have a linksys 54g (i dont rember what model) with DD-WRT and it works decently. i have to reboot it ocasionally, but other then that its a good firmware to use imo go go 80mW!! :)

edit: and didnt netgear face a class action lawsuit on their wireless products not delivering what they should be?

Last edited:
"and didnt netgear face a class action lawsuit on their wireless products not delivering what they should be?"

If not then they should. f#¤% piece of crap is what it is. I'm never gonna buy another netgear product ever again. I contacted netgear and said their product doesn't deliver and i want my money back but they just tell me to send in the router and they send me a new one. Well if its war they want then im game. Im gonna keep sending back every #¤% router they send me until I get my money back.

Sucka said:
Had a Linksys for going on several years now without a single problem. No random disconnects, no lag, overall an awsome router. It's the WRT54GS that i'm currently using. Great router for me so far anyways.

ditto

Just fried my Netgear WGT624 when upgrading the firmware. This does not seem to be uncommon since I googled and read a lot of people have had this problem.

Bought a DI-634M from Dlink and it sucks. I basically turned off every advance options and I feel that I am swimming in molaces.

Gonna go buy the Dlink 4300, Zyxel x550 and a linksys and try them all and see if I can get one that works well.

Any ways before the netgear died, I had to restart the router every week or so since it kept losing the connection and would not pick it back up.

Back