• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Registry Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGlitch

Registered
Playing around in the registry i deleted HKCR\clsid the whole folder. It is backed up on my comp. The peopblem is that when i restarted my comp the password screen comes up but there is no user name for me to click on to put my password in so i can login to windows. Did i delete something bad and if so is there a way to add the file that i saved back into the computer without being in windows. Thanks for taking the time to read this

i tryed both of those and they dont work. :( i would really hate to format i have years worth of stuff on this comp and i dont have any space to back anything up

Try running the System Restore tool from the Safe Mode command prompt. Boot to the Advanced Options menu (by hitting the F8 key directly after POST), and select to boot to Safe Mode with a command prompt | Log on to your computer with an administrator account, or with an account that has administrative credentials | Type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

...then just follow the instructions that appear on the screen. If unable to perform a System Restore for whatever reason, try performing a repair install of XP...

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

... and how did you accidently delete the entire CLSID key?

redduc900 the problem with running safe mod with command promt is that i can login as administrator it still brings me to the login screen with no admin account to click on. as far is how did i delete it i was messing around in the registry and fighting with my brother at the same time.

Is there a way to edit the registry without being in windows because i did back the file up

Am I mistaken on this?

Shouldn't the last known good configuration work if no one has logged into the PC since the changes were made. My undestanding was that was the point at which windows dumped the last registry enrties and created the new "last known good"...at the point of logging in successfully.

***Edit to add***
This article may have what you need
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

Last edited:
you need to boot to the recovery console and copy the files from c:\windows\repair to c:\windows\system32\config. rename the current files in that directory in case you need them later. then you can boot to windows explorer where you need to copy system restore's backed up registry files to a temp directory that you also create. then you restart back to recovery console and copy those files in the temp directory to your c:\windows\system32\config directory. then restart to windows and restore to a previous known restore point.

the following kb article expains it in detail, should work: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

EDIT: dammit snafumaster you beat me to it! :)

Thank you guys it worked perfectly from this point on i am never touching the registry again

That's just what I said about booze after my first hangover. :)
Glad to here you are back up and running. If all else had failed you could have done a repair intallation.

If I might be so bold...

I would suggest just the opposite. If you have any ability to play with the registry in a machine that you can reinstall if something goes terribly wrong, I would. I don't know to which level of Operating System tinkering you get into, but if it is something you like, the registry has a wealth of potential for you. You were smart enough to make a backup of your registry, that is indeed the first and most important step. The registry, as far as tweaking goes, Rocks! There is nothing that I am aware of (and there are still plenty of areas that I am not so familiar with) that you can tweak outside the registry, that can not be done more quickly and often times with more options in the registry with a tool that is built into every modern Windows build... REGEDIT.

In short, back up and tinker.

Back