• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lofty

Yup, I'm full of 'em. Gotta be the most annoying person on the planet. Anyway...

1) How does an AMD Opteron compare with other CPU's of a similar price for folding? (I assume it overclocks well.)
2) Why is my p2106 taking about the same time to fold as a p2107, considering the latter is worth double the points?
3) Is there anything I can do to boost performance in my current machine without hardware upgrades?

1) Intel Pentium D's will pwn all once QMDs come back, and they're cheaper than dual core AMDs, but to overclock them you need a damn good heatsink and a damn good (expensive) motherboard.
2) The p2107 uses a lot more RAM? That's probably the case (big WU bonus), but I'm not sure.
3) Don't run any programs on it besides Folding. In fact, don't even touch it except for upgrades :p

AMD Opterons are great, but expensive, folders if there are no QMDs that are Intel only. If Intel only QMDs return (at the same value as past QMDs), nothing AMD makes can be considered a great Folder.

p2107 is one of the unusual WUs that come in two different lengths. I suspect the one outpointing the p2106 has half the steps that most 2107s have. If you post the log, I can tell you.

Without spending anything, running the tightest timings at the highest stable OC will make the biggest difference. Otherwise make sure nothing else is running while folding.

Last edited:
Back