• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Understanding Intel Chipsets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

I am in the process of building a second machine, super budget model. I see newegg is having a sale on the 805 smith field dual core and decided i should take advantage of it.

Problem is I am a little confused with the intel chipsets. All the mobos on new egg say "hyper threading technology" but does that mean dual core as well?

All I need from the board is 1 PCI-E slot, but also onboard video till I can afford a lowprofile video card for it.

DDR2 667 preferablly. as there is no real price diff on 533 and 667 ddr2 memory.

And microATX form factor.

I was suggested the 945 chipset but the cheapest I found was 85 dollars, and that does not really constitute a budget machine imho. So is there another board I should be looking at that supports the smithfield?

TIA

(PS I will be upgrading it in the future, but for no am trying to keep cpu/mobo/RAM and DVD drive under 300 dollars).

You need the i945, i955, or i975 chipset for dual core support. There is only one overclocking mobo that I can recommend that supports the 805 processor, is microATX, has on-board video, with DDR2 and PCI-E slots. That's the ASUS P5LD2-VM. Newegg.com has a refurb for $80 and new for $105. Now I realize you think that's too much, but if you want something decent, that's your best choice for the price. The non-Intel chipsets like VIA and Nforce are junk and will sometimes only run one core, if they even run at all.

Back