• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got my am2 cpu :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Poor little thing.... Doesn't even know whats about to happen to it,

as you walk towards it with a tube of grease in one hand, and a hunk of copper in the other.

lan grid allignment....LGA....same thing the new intels have been using (for years)

but thats their new server chips socket 1207 or close to that, AM2 has MPGA (i think thats it)

you are thinking of some future socket. I think I know what you are talking about, some sort of slide-on or twist-on socket or something. But yeah, as others have said, it has 940 pins.

After reading some articles on the performance gain from 939->AM2 I really started to lose some faith. I hope to see a good showing here.

Here is what I read

Janus67 said:
you are thinking of some future socket. I think I know what you are talking about, some sort of slide-on or twist-on socket or something. But yeah, as others have said, it has 940 pins.

After reading some articles on the performance gain from 939->AM2 I really started to lose some faith. I hope to see a good showing here.

Here is what I read

Well AM2 is pretty much just DDR2 on a conventional A64 chip, not a whole new architecture like p4-conroe, so I'm not expecting much.

Wait for K8L and K10 :)

dan

Flip-Mode said:
So how is it soposed to interface with the socket?
Its got 940 pins.

I was thinking of an LGA interface like Intel's socket T, like mentioned on the other post :)

dan

Last edited:
When you gonna get a board and some benches for that thing. I'd like to see a forum member some work on it. Good luck with it, I hope it impresses.

Dan0512 said:
Well AM2 is pretty much just DDR2 on a conventional A64 chip, not a whole new architecture like p4-conroe, so I'm not expecting much.

Wait for K8L and K10 :)

dan

Dont refer to it as "p4" conroe - it has nothing to do with pentium4's.

it isnt supposed to have spins as other have said, nothing to do with slidy twisty stuff - the socket has the "pins" the cpu has contacts.

i'm waiting for a mobo to run the cpu i have some dry ice waiting.

regarding performance i got info that it overclocks better than current s939 cpus

Back