• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowhawk109

So, after much frustration with my brother's old rig, my dad and I built him a new one. I figured I'd post it on here so you folks could tell me what to trash and what to keep and what to upgrade and what to do with it. Have a party with this thing:

POS Case...I hate this thing, but it does the job.
POS Power Supply-maybe should get a really nice one, but so far this ones ok.
Abit SG-80 Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Celeron 346 3.06Ghz 533FSB Processor
512MB DDR400 Memory
Generic DVD Reader
HP CD Burner
80GB Western Digital HD
NVIDIA GeForce 5200 Graphics Card

Not built for heavy duty, and its my kid brothers so DVD Burning or crap like that isnt needed. Just built for gaming, really, and homework. Around the UT2K4 and CS:S age games or lower.

Whatcha think?

DEFINATELY get a new proccy

get a p4 that should be fine

the 80gb may not be enough for him, you might wanna get another 80 and run them in RAID

the only game I've tried playing on that 5200 is halo, and it ran like ****(640x480 all low settings for a good framerate)

you might wanna get a 6600 or 6800 or something

slap another 512mb of RAM in there

the drives are fine unless u wanna get one DVD-Burner drive and trassh the toher two(but since you said that was un-needed only do it if you have some extra money)

what's the PSU's watts?(idk how 2 word that)

The case i would get later on

it might be a POS but hey, if it works upgrade the more important stuff(RAM proccy vid card ect...)

I'll go find specific products in a sec

Last edited:
he never ever touches hard drive space, maybe used up 10 gb with all games installed. Processor is plenty fast for him, I'm looking more at what would be easy to purchace.
Our entire freakin family (3 comps worth) needs new video cards. I want us all to get 6800 or 7800 in AGP.
Dont know about the ram...you may have something there.
He has a 15" CRT so res is ok...its ugly to look at and Unreal 2K4 looks fine so we arent gonna upgrade.

PSU = 450 watts

cant get the vid card...PCIe VS AGP...gotta be AGP...and ramwise I can get another stick of 512 for $15 off TigerDirect...I'm just not too entirely sure if he really needs it.

The first thing I would do is get rid of the power supply. Crappy ones often don't have the protection that saves the rest of your parts when they die.

Back