• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete rebuild/upgrade and need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xbladr

Alright well I have been out of the loop for a while and I am curious as to what to go with now for processor cpu etc.
Background info:

I have an AMD 2800+ OC'ed
1gb Patriot TCCD 3200 ram
I forget which power supply but i bought a good supply off new egg last year
Nvidia 6800GT OC
and an asus mobo

Now I am pretty much looking to upgrade everything but the video card and power supply so pretty much the heart of my comp the cpu and mobo

I am willing to switch over to pentium i have no real preferences either way I am just trying to figure out what setup would be best for gaming and what do you recommend for a mobo and cpu combo i dont want to spend more than 350 or so. Let me know what ideas you guys have

Thanks

If you can swing a little extra money to this upgrade you can get this motherboard and this processor a buddy of mine ran this motherboard for quite a while with no problems and it gives you the option to upgrade to PCI-express and if ASRock goes thru with the daughterboard idea you have the option of upgrading to the new socket later this year. there is also a fairly detailed thread on here somewhere about volt modding this board too.

my advice is WAIT.

you have already waited this long, no sense in buying something that will be dated in just a few months.

i would go with a conroe when they come out, and look to a mobo like this one from Asrock, it will let you to reuse your DDR1, and AGP.

that way you will have the latest and greates CPU, but you won't have to spend $1000 on your upgrade. there will be cheap conroes available, they should oc quite well.

what is a conroe and when are they coming out? do we have any dates or ideas yet?

I also noticed the asrock board has no pci expresss slots so i wouldnt be able to upgrade later if I wanted...

conroe SHOULD be coming out sometime this summer, and it will be replacing the pentium4 as intels flagship cpu line.

it will be the fastest thing available upon release, and will take the performance crown back from AMD in a big way (although this has yet to be PROVEN, there are already benchmarks available from both conroe and AM2, and conroe looks to be quite a beast of a cpu).

google conroe, and conroe benchmarks, you'll see what all the fuss is about ;)

if you are worried about pci-e, you should just dump your agp card when you upgrade. having a board that will do both brings to mind the expression "jack of all trades, master of none".

alright also what kind of prices is the conroe going to bring? how expensive is this cpu going to run me... I am not looking for 64 fx prices here

also id I do decide to ditch my AGP 6800+GT OC
for reference here is my card on new egg this is in refurb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195R

what should I go with I would be selling it on ebay and whatever I make from that I would buy a pci-e card so what would be close price range wise?

Last edited:
depending on what you wanna spend, there will be conroes for all budgets. i think the sweet spot will be the E6600, 2.4ghz, 4mb cache, should overclock very well. it will be $315, 1/3 the price of the fx60 and should be able to be very competitive to put it nicely.

some more info: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31126 (also posted in another thread in General CPU)

yea i just saw that thread... alright it seems that waiting for the conroe is the way to go right now... Thanks for your help guys

Back