• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox + Google=Good or Evil?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I'm just wondering what you guys' opinions are of this. Many see Microsoft is an evil megaconglomerate organization and many are starting to see Google this way. Is this good that Google is helping to get an open-source browser more into the mainstream or is this a plot by Google to try to take on Microsoft in the near future because they have MS beat in the search-engine technology and there have been rumors floating around the last couple of years about a Google OS. What do you guys think?

Just like everything else thats evil, it looks good at first then it shows its ugly face.

i use google search. But I also know that much of Googles search database results are used in marketing, and on the internet, marketing means identifying users and their habits. Now our habits are not personally tracked (unless you still allow 3rd party cookies to be accepted and don't dump them all when your browser exits) but general maketing startagies can be developed- that's why Google is so big.

Companies will pay for search data-

Googles' company moto is "Don't be evil", so I am sure there is a google employee checking out this thread right now :D.

Also people need to stop equating a company making money to being evil. When you go to work you get paid don't you? You also want to earn as much money as possible, that doesn't make you evil by default.

Ad Rock said:
Googles' company moto is "Don't be evil"...
That is an easy motto to have when you are starting out and have only 5 or 10 employees in your garage. Google now employs about 6,000 people worldwide. So I would say there motto now is more like "Try not to be that evil. Oh, yeah and Kill Microsoft."

google + firefox = good

until they mess up my computer

then google + firefox = evil

I personally consider google as being evil after reading the information at google watch
http://www.google-watch.org/

Firefox is not evil it has no reason to be and because its Open Source people have the ability to see how evil it is, im pretty certain that if it became evil someone would fork the source code and develop a friendly version

UnseenMenace, did you once notice how not credible that site is? They do use facts though, they use them very carefully to show their point, which is likely valid. Seriously though, Google is the last place I'd be worried about watching me in my opinion. We got this thing called the Government I'd be a little more worried about.

Jon

Ad Rock said:
you also want to earn as much money as possible, that doesn't make you evil by default.

Maybe it doesn't make you evil, but I think it makes you bad. I want to earn as much money as I need to live comfortably on in this country, I don't want as much money as possible, as I don't need it, and trying to do so is greedy.

JFettig said:
UnseenMenace, did you once notice how not credible that site is? They do use facts though, they use them very carefully to show their point, which is likely valid. Seriously though, Google is the last place I'd be worried about watching me in my opinion. We got this thing called the Government I'd be a little more worried about.

Jon

Although that site is not the most credible, it does voice the same concers found elsewhere.. I do believe however that we a moving to a Google that knows more about you and im not convinced thats acceptable.
With regards to being worried about the Goverment im lucky to be British as our leaders are generally incompetent where America's appears to be owned by big business, I to would be concerned if I was an American citizen, with the starting point of the DMCA and the behaviour of the RIAA to set examples, I think America's public are heading for bigger problems

I consider the guy who wrote that site a genuine privacy nut. He doesnt like the existance of a wikipedia article about him despite being a public figure.

I think Google is slightly Evil mostly because they are always trying to find news ways to collect information on you. Its a bit creepy. I think its funny they are complaining about msn search being the default search engine in IE when they are the default search engine in FF. Crybabies.

Back