• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some interesting 360 rumors (nothing to do with 360 vs PC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

Disclaimer: This isn't meant to be a 360 vs. PC ****ing contest and no, no one cares if you prefer your PC to the 360 or the 360 to a PC. No one cares what you think of Americans, Russians, Asians, etc... and remember opinions are like ***holes so if yours is off-topic in a flame starting kind of way go crap somewhere else, please.

This is a thread intended to talk about the rumored plans and even some humorus/light off-topic stuff if you feel the urge. Anyway, here are some interesting rummors and yes they are very much unofficial rumors, but interesting non-the-less.

"The information is very interesting, but should be taken with a pinch of salt.

# Xbox 360 Premium Pack price is going to drop $100 in October.
#Xbox 360 Core Pack price is going to drop $80 in October.

This is a big price drop, but it's feasible, I think I paid £300 for my original Xbox, and then, a few months later, they were retailing at £220.

#Gears of War is going to be released the last week of October with an huge marketing campaign at global scale.
#HD-DVD add-on for September, you can connect to the USB 2.0 port. It is going to be priced at $100
#New Hard Drive with 100GB of storage, price and date not specified.
#Webcam "My Eye on you", for the month of September with a price of $50 without game and $75 with a game.
#Xbox Backward compatibility list is going to be updated in June with 50 new titles
#Extension of the bandwidth for the Xbox live servers.
#At E3 we are going to see the first videos of Halo 3, which will be released in March 2007.
#Possibility of an "urban game" that could be GTA. Microsoft is working on it and this isn´t a joke.
#A possible price drop in Xbox Live Gold or it is going to be free because they are going to get money with promotional advices.
#From the next month of October they will change some records in some games for "MSpoints".
#Paramount Pictures and Microsoft have announced an agreement where Paramount is going to provide HD content to Xbox Live.
#NBC has signed with Microsoft for the possibility of watching online tournaments live.
#Alliance between Epic and Microsoft for exclusive content in Xbox Live.
#Creation of a Dashboard for kids.
#A new service in June: Download and play.
#Rare was working on Kameo 2 before the release of Kameo.Will it arrive sooner than expected?.
#MS is working on an upgraded friend list ( 200 contacts)
#Virtual Console with Sega games before the next month of October
#A spectacular upgrade in the number of Xbox Live Arcade games in the next months.
#New look for Dashboard.

Most of these idea have been banded about at one point or another, but we'll never know the truth until Microsoft tell us, they never speculate on rumour."

Here are a few more rumors:

"In the latest issue of GameInformer there are a few notable rumors. First of all, GI is standing by their April issue in which they revealed the new Halo game is called Forerunner. Secondly, they reveal a "Project Orion." This is supposedly a team put together to explore the possibility of a Halo MMO game. The claim the game is still in the "planning stages," but it is going ahead. Thirdly, Microsoft is in the process of trying to secure the next version of GTA for the Xbox360"

These are all stollen from Xboxaddict.com btw.

A Halo MMO game... I don't know if I like the idea or not. I do like GTA4 or 6 or whatever on the 360 though if they can manage that.

Last edited:
I <3 GW and price drop.
Translation- I heart Gears of War and price drop.
<3 is supposed to look like a heart.

Sony is definitely finished with me. They'll never get a cent of my money (or most of my communities money either) after that root kit crap and the way they have treated some of my friends.

Last edited:
z0n3 said:
I <3 GW and price drop.

Was that a mis-type? I don't quite get the I <3 GW part.

ps i really like the earning MS points for game records. it would be nice to get free Sega Genesis roms and arcade games for doing well in the games you buy. That and i can live with ads for free Live Gold. Hopefully some of these things end up being true.

Yuriman said:
Sony is finished.

Naw, but they definitely won't be dominant like they were last go around with the estimated 10+ million 360 user base before the PS3 even arrives. It should put preasure on Sony to sell us PS3's at a lower price too and I :welcome: that :D

Last edited:
PWatterson said:
Price Drop....YAY!!! Maybe I can get one this year after all. :santa2:

Ya.. Only thing I'd wait for is the die shrink to happen. Less heat, less power is always good in my book even if you can't OC it. :)

price drop is something i was counting on ... i grabbed my xbox for $100 and i love buying it ... i had PS2 too but possibilities of xbox were much more :)

As far as i am concerned, xbox360 is funkier version of xbox with xbmc :p right now i wouldnt be spending on it or the games ... i rather wait till this xmas for the prices to drop than i will spend on it :D

Halo MMO ... ummmm well apart from master chief there really are no strong characters in the game to play around with ... i think so its a lame idea, they are just jumping on the MMO wagon with a popular title and hoping that diehard fans would grab a copy, strickly from marketing point of view that indeed would work i think :)

Not being PS3 or XBOX360 fan if these rumors are true than by the time Sony decides to launch PS3 Microsoft will counter by dropping the price of XBOX360 making it much harded for Sony. Microsoft till now have an edge since their system is out and performing and with all the customer feedback they had ample amount of time to fix things up, Sony on the other hand will take certain amount of time

GTA on XBOX360 .... dang why doesnt that surprises me? :D looking forward for it :) i would love to see MGS series on XBOX hehe !!! that's the only reason i would be buying PS3 for ... to play MGS4, bought PS2 to play MGS3 ... :rolleyes:
just my two cents :)

Is the Add on HD-DVD drive really going to be worth it?

Its limited to movies, and also limited to use with the 360. So If your 360 goes, so does your only player for HD-DVD movies.

Rydis said:
Is the Add on HD-DVD drive really going to be worth it?

Its limited to movies, and also limited to use with the 360. So If your 360 goes, so does your only player for HD-DVD movies.

If HD-DVD drives are $2-300 and you have a 360 I would think it would be worth $100, if in fact, that is the pricing.

Just a guess though.

Nah, I don't think Sony is out of the running just yet. Until Xbox gets a better RPG base, there will be plenty of Sony fans out there (like myself.) Games like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts have too strong a fan base which will draw people towards the PS3. If those games ever got released on Xbox 360, though, Sony would be put in an extremely tight spot. Until then, the 360 is the system of choice for FPS and sports, while the PS3 will be prime for RPGs.

And, what exactly do you do with MSPoints? I've still not quite figured those out yet, though I've been too obsorbed in Oblivion to really look it up.

If they do drop the prices then it will be very hard to wait for the die shrink. Oh well, I've waited this long. MAR 2007 Halo 3 = me in line getting a 360 and renewing my Xbox live subscription.

I believe all this to be true except for the price drop. IF there is a price drop it'll depend on PS3s opening price and I think it'll be about half of what has been predicted. At this point it looks like the title for this machine should be X-box 360: This time they're SERIOUS. Even though I preferred the xbox1 to the PS2, for some reason the PS2 still outsold it by a wide margin. I think it was mostly due to GTA being on it a year before 360 and PC and Grand Turismo though.

I think Sony has bit off more than they can chew this time because one of the following is going to happen with the PS3:

1.Specs will be much weaker than promised
2.Price will knock them out of the game between Rev/Go and 360
3.Delays and availability will kill them
4.Price Loss Per Unit will financial cripple them and the movie,music and non-game divisions will either severely limit production or kill the project.

OC Noob said:
If HD-DVD drives are $2-300 and you have a 360 I would think it would be worth $100, if in fact, that is the pricing.

Just a guess though.

My point being though, you are then very limited. To use it anywhere else, you must bring you 360. If your 360 dies, you lose your use of an HD-DVD player that is still good.

I just think its more worth it to get an actual player thats more redundant. My personal opinion though.

I personally think the PS2 outsold xbox because of alot of things.:

1.ps2 was out long before the 360
2.Sony is more popular when it comes to consumer electronics vs mainly PC.
3.Sony has a larger biased fan base across the globe, including international and Japan.

I think the 360 is a great machine, except for the fact it can't play HD-DVD's.

Even if Ps3 lowers its price, it should come equiped with the drive to play Blu-Ray. So if you add in that cost, then the PS3 can have more value to it then the 360.

Very interesting rumors...

The price drop is as much as I ever dared to hope for...it would really be great for gamers. I have always been sure there would be one at least by a PS3 launch...but how much? Costs and a potentially high PS3 price allowed me to fear more measly price drops.

HD-DVD add-on will be nice for a low cost entry into the HD movie market for a lot of people. It's also nice to be able to opt out of it (not buy it) for those who are not interested. It's funny how many people think the PS3 will be such a great value even at high prices because it will come with the ability to watch Blu-Ray movies...but, in all likelyhood the 360 + add-on will still be cheaper. And, neither one is probably a completely smart investment until either the format war shakes out or dual-format players become available at affordable prices.

Title news like GW and GTA are really interesting... Expect MS to strike huge blows in terms of titles. It's all about the money for developers. The 360 is rapidly shaping up into the platform that will provide it.

Free live service would be cool, too. A lot of the ads would probably be cool anyway...think gaming magazines. The ads are sometimes as interesting as the articles. Another blow delivered to Sony if it happens.

Let me clarify something, they're not talking about a new GTA game for the 360, it has nothing to do with Rockstar. Microsoft is making their OWN GTA-LIKE game that they promised would take GTA to the next level and be much better etc...etc....etc.....

Rydis said:
My point being though, you are then very limited. To use it anywhere else, you must bring you 360. If your 360 dies, you lose your use of an HD-DVD player that is still good.

I just think its more worth it to get an actual player thats more redundant. My personal opinion though.

I personally think the PS2 outsold xbox because of alot of things.:

1.ps2 was out long before the 360
2.Sony is more popular when it comes to consumer electronics vs mainly PC.
3.Sony has a larger biased fan base across the globe, including international and Japan.

I think the 360 is a great machine, except for the fact it can't play HD-DVD's.

Even if Ps3 lowers its price, it should come equiped with the drive to play Blu-Ray. So if you add in that cost, then the PS3 can have more value to it then the 360.

Also I would like to see reviews of the Xbox HD-DVD drive against standalone players before I ever considered getting one. There may be quality or functionality differences that would justify the extra cost for a standalone player.

Back