• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

muddocktor's got the blues...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Congrats on your Senior status my friend! :beer:

foldon.gif

EDIT: Opps! Looks like I already missed the "Congrats" thread...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=456144

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Landshark, you are just so mean, reminding me how old I'm getting. :cry:

But getting older is much better than the alternative. ;)

muddocktor said:
Thanks guys.

and the alternative is..? Yea, I know! ;) ;) ;)

btw, gotta recommendation for good Athlon x2 hsf?

muddocktor said:
Thanks guys.

you guys know I'm just kidding...... :p

sorry if I offered you Harlam!! my bad!!

LandShark said:
you guys know I'm just kidding...... :p

sorry if I offered you Harlam!! my bad!!

Not at all... in fact, if that would put me somewhere around 1972 that would be great! I always wanted to attend some of the Dead shows from that era anyway. :D

ihrsetrdr said:
and the alternative is..? Yea, I know! ;) ;) ;)

btw, gotta recommendation for good Athlon x2 hsf?

Depending on the case that you are using, there are several quality alternatives. If your case is plenty wide, the best choices would most probably be a Scythe Ninja with a quiet 120mm fan or the Big Typhoon with a Panaflo M1BX or M1A, but both are tall as hell and have trouble fitting into some cases. The Zalman 9500 is also a good choice and a little shorter than the first 2, but my experience with it shows it's not quite as good as the BT and Ninja. The XP90C with a Panaflo M1BX is at least as good as the 9500 and I'll be trying it out with a Panaflo H1BX, Delta EFB 92 X 38mm 3 blade and a 92mm Vantec Tornado next week when I get in from work. I'll be running the Delta and Vantec on a fan controller so I can vary the speed and noise to see where they hit a happy medium between noise and airflow. Aslo, the stock 4 pipe retail hsf that comes with the Opteron DC procs and X2 4400 and above procs is real good with an upgraded fan on them. I have tried a Delta FFB0812HHE on one of my retails and it worked as well or maybe a little better than an XP90(not the copper XP90C) with a M1BX. I think that the 80 X 38mm Delta EFB 3 blade fan that sidewinder sells would also be a good choice for the retail hsf too.

As far as prices go, I got my Xp90C off fleabay for $35 shipped and I bought my Ninja from the Newegg refurbs for around $30 and got my 9500 off a guy at the Short Media forums for $45 shipped. The only one I paid retail for was the BT from Newegg. It was around $50.

harlam357 said:
Not at all... in fact, if that would put me somewhere around 1972 that would be great! I always wanted to attend some of the Dead shows from that era anyway. :D
mmmmm too bad my age was counted in increments of months in 1972...
did get to "see" 4 or 5 (i cant remember :)) shows B4 Jerry took the "alternative to growing older".... mmmm good times :beer:

:beer: grats (again) ol'man-muddocktor :beer:

Just to make you whipper-snappers :D feel young, I've been around since the 1960s. Jeez this forum makes me feel ancient :p Never seen The Dead, but luv the music.

Congrats Mudd :clap:

Try counting your age in hexidecimal.

Decimal Age = Hexidecimal Age
0 = 0
1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 3
4 = 4
5 = 5
6 = 6
7 = 7
8 = 8
9 = 9
10 = A
11 = B
12 = C
13 = D
14 = E
15 = F
16 = 10
17 = 11
18 = 12
19 = 13
20 = 14
21 = 15
22 = 16
23 = 17
24 = 18
25 = 19
26 = 1A
27 = 1B
28 = 1C
29 = 1D
30 = 1E
31 = 1F
32 = 20
33 = 21
34 = 22
35 = 23
36 = 24
37 = 25
38 = 26
39 = 27
40 = 28
41 = 29
42 = 2A
43 = 2B
44 = 2C
45 = 2D
46 = 2E
47 = 2F
48 = 30
49 = 31
50 = 32
51 = 33
52 = 34
53 = 35
54 = 36
55 = 37
58 = 38
59 = 39
60 = 3A

Lofty said:
Try counting your age in hexidecimal.

Decimal Age = Hexidecimal Age

50 = 32

Hey, I like that much better and it's also our team number too. :thup:

I guess that means I'm the team mascot for a year, right? ;) :confused:

You look good in blue Mudd! Congrats :thup:
:beer: :beer:

I haven't been here much the last week or so but i thought i noticed the colour change when i peeked in earlier this week ... but I wasn't sure if you had always been blue :eek: ... I guess the neurons were connecting after all :)

muddocktor said:
Depending on the case that you are using, there are several quality alternatives. If your case is plenty wide, the best choices would most probably be a Scythe Ninja with a quiet 120mm fan or the Big Typhoon with a Panaflo M1BX or M1A, but both are tall as hell and have trouble fitting into some cases. The Zalman 9500 is also a good choice and a little shorter than the first 2, but my experience with it shows it's not quite as good as the BT and Ninja. The XP90C with a Panaflo M1BX is at least as good as the 9500 and I'll be trying it out with a Panaflo H1BX, Delta EFB 92 X 38mm 3 blade and a 92mm Vantec Tornado next week when I get in from work. I'll be running the Delta and Vantec on a fan controller so I can vary the speed and noise to see where they hit a happy medium between noise and airflow. Aslo, the stock 4 pipe retail hsf that comes with the Opteron DC procs and X2 4400 and above procs is real good with an upgraded fan on them. I have tried a Delta FFB0812HHE on one of my retails and it worked as well or maybe a little better than an XP90(not the copper XP90C) with a M1BX. I think that the 80 X 38mm Delta EFB 3 blade fan that sidewinder sells would also be a good choice for the retail hsf too.

As far as prices go, I got my Xp90C off fleabay for $35 shipped and I bought my Ninja from the Newegg refurbs for around $30 and got my 9500 off a guy at the Short Media forums for $45 shipped. The only one I paid retail for was the BT from Newegg. It was around $50.

Thanks for the guidence muddocktor...I've got several of the Ninjas on all but one of my 8xxD rigs. I really like the ninjas, but I can't be too attached to the idea of having a side panel in place. ;) Same goes for the sonic tower on my 830D...what a monster! :eek: I'll be sniffing around at the other coolin' solutions you mentioned! :D

Back