• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt mosfet IC7Max3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Navig

Senior Case Master
This agp mosfet burnt out on my IC7Max3 the other day:

Ic7max3demise.jpg

I've never replaced a mosfet before. Any tips or thoughts on the feasibility of getting this motherboard working again?

Thanks,
navig

Pro*Banshee said:
(in the starcraft general duke voice)
Should work...

Mosfets are a pain to desolder without a high-power iron thouigh

I am sorry to say this, but I have to agree. Mosfets and Caps is a pain in the but to remove. You will need a high power iron.

Well, I did actually manage to get it off. I clipped the legs so there are just nubbins left. The big foot came off, sortof, the trace pad is a little damaged, but not in too bad shape. Guess I'll start hunting for a replacement. Should I just google the part#?

Well, on my other IC7Max3, the part number printed on the mosfet is: 13NO3LA XB335. Google revealed nothing.

On the burnt mosfet, I can make out the following numbers:
PHD55NO3 ?LTA ?3A5.

Google yielded some links.

Any ideas? I may just pick one, solder it in (if I can) and see what happens.

navig

Good luck getting one of the part you need. Unless a distributor has a product that will work, you are pretty much SOL.

more ideas.. spare parts board off ebay..

45W should be enough power??
"powerfull" is kinda vauge ;)

In a stange and unfortunate turn of events, my OTHER IC7Max3 went down the other day.

Maybe if anyone's interested, here are the strange characteristics of that one:

Already modded: extra caps, Vdimm/VTT booster circuit, Vdroop mod.

This one stopped booting, and I've noticed some very strange characteristics:

1) The Vdimm is stuck to 2.9V. I've cleared the cmos multiple times, even switched in the other cmos chip

2) The Southbridge chip gets extremely hot, I'm talking probably 60c even with a big heatsink

My next question, and is rather obvious--If I can't #2 figured out, I may steal its agp mosfet and graft it onto the first motherboard.

Anybody know how to solder a mosfet on! I assumed you would lay down some solder on the pad then use the little metal tab sticking out to heat up and melt the solder. I tried this but I couldn't get the foot hot enough to melt solder without getting the mosfet transister to crazy temperatures. I'm truly thinking this is a lost cause.

navig

To keep the MOSFET (if it is a MOSFET -- apparently the 13NO3LA XB335 is an Infineon part) cool, use a soldering iron with plenty of power, like 35-40W to solder the small leads, 40-45W for the tab, so the soldering can be done quickly.

Back